On 10/22/20 8:39 PM, Bill Page wrote:
> Try starting fricas like this:
>
> $ fricas -noclef
>
> Doing this avoids the command line problem for me.

Indeed. CLEF is the problem.

Just edit your fricas script. Edit the one in your PATH if you do not
want to recompile fricas.

> "clef" is the old Axiom alternative to readline and is still used by
> default. Of course without clef (and without building FriCAS especially to
> support readline) you lose the usual command line editing.

But in the master branch is now the -rl option. If you have rlwrap
installed on your computer, then "fricas -rl" will choose readline
instead of clef and you have full editing features.

> I am not sure if the TeXmacs interface already avoids using clef or not. If
> not then I think it should. I vaguely recall that it used to use the
> -nosman option which also implies -noclef and -noht. Sorry, I don't have
> TeXmacs installed on this desktop system any more or I would try it.

It doesn't use -nosman, but basically it does, because it calls
FRICASsys directly. But I am not sure whether that actually means that
it doesn't use clef.

https://github.com/fricas/fricas/blob/master/src/etc/fricas#L102

Anyway, maybe replacing

if [ "$*" = "-texmacs" ] ; then
    exec "$FRICAS/bin/FRICASsys" -- -eval "$algebra_off" -eval
"$markers" -eval "$texmacs_on"
fi

by

if [ "$*" = "-texmacs" ] ; then
    exec "rlwrap $FRICAS/bin/FRICASsys" -- -eval "$algebra_off" -eval
"$markers" -eval "$texmacs_on"
fi

just works. (I haven't tested that!)

Ralf