On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:56 AM Kostas Oikonomou
<kostas.oikonomo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer your questions, I am not a very sophisticated Fricas
> user, so I don't write SPAD code.

:) Well, you are already using FriCAS so I would say that you are
rather sophisticated!

The SPAD compiler is frustrating by modern standards but the language
itself is quite straightforward, albeit a bit overly pedantic,
compared to the interpreter. I think most people could easily learn to
program in SPAD from a few basic examples.

> But, more importantly, TeXmacs is not really a programmer's editor
> like Emacs. It is an editor for scientific (technical) documents.

What I had in mind is perhaps little like the literate programming
ideal that was promulgated by the original Axiom parent project (and
still in use there). I never liked the idea much when it came to
maintaining existing Axiom system code but it still makes sense to me
in the case of the activity of scientific application programming
itself.

>  (Nevertheless, it knows how to typeset fragments of many
> programming languages so they look good when included in
> a document. By "programming languages" we also mean
> computer algebra systems.)

I agree.

> So for writing SPAD code I would use Emacs, or some other
> IDE, if you prefer.

Wel, OK.  There are valid arguments however that code and
documentation really belong together, especially in the case of
research.

What I had in mind perhaps could be done in TeXmacs by inventing a new
FriCAS session type just for the compiler. The main difference would
be that the contents of a SPAD session would be compiled instead of
being interpreted.

> With respect to including graphics in a document, there
> is a sophisticated interface that handles eps, pdf, png.
> You can access it by the button with the picture of a tree
> in the second row of the buttons at the top of the window.

Hmm, FriCAS does have some preliminary support for the generation of
GNUplot input data. I wonder if that could be used together with the
GNU plot plugin for TeXmacs - or some other similar graphics plugin?

I think Kurt and Ralf are/were thinking of something like this for the
FriCAS Jupyter interface.

Bill Page.