OK, after enabling postscript generation in ImageMagick, loading some
missing TeXLive packages and installing Sphinx 'make localdoc'
succeeded. I am able to access the result from

$ firefox file:///home/wspage/fricas-build/src/doc/html/index.html

So now I have a link on my desktop that starts a local copy of the api. Great.

Now, to answer an earlier question: Apparently search is supported
through some local javascript. As a result what I have seems to look
and work exactly the same way as the online version. And I am able to
access my locally stored source code. So all is good so far.

Thanks.