On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 10:15:27PM +0800, Qian Yun wrote:
> Can we try to fix this bug with 'sockaddr_un'?

I am not sure what you mean here.  We want ability to
handle both Unix domain sockets and Internet sockets.
With proper conditiononals this should be possible.
So we could use 'sockaddr_un', but with conditionals
making sure that it is used when appropriate (and
only in such cases).

> About windows:
>
> Cygwin should work, because it is an POSIX emulation layer.
>
> Mingw64 (aka native WIN32) never worked: sman was never built
> as WIN32.  So on (native WIN32) windows, the socket related code
> is never used, right?
>
> The WinSock code was there when FriCAS was forked
> from Axiom.  And Axiom doesn't contain this WinSock code.
> Not sure why it was there in the first place.

WinSock code is due to Gabriel Dos Reis (possibly parts
are due to Mike Thomas who had special Windows patches).
The code was in build-improvements branch and probably
never made it to Tim Daly Axiom.

AFAIK this code compiled on Windows and presumably passed all
tests that Gaby did.

Concerning sman: AFAICS the big trouble here are pty-s, they
are not directly available in Windows and the best one can
do is to provide some kind of emulation.  Cygwin provides
emulation of pty-s, I do not know how it is done and if
it is feasible to provide such emulation for Mingw.
However, it seem easier (but not easy) to replace all
uses of pty-s by sockets.  Of course, in such scenario
Winsock code would be quite important.

Separate issue is Cygwin, I am not sure if it used
Winsock sockets or Cygwin emulation.