On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 10:38:34AM +1000, Hill Strong wrote:
> There is nothing to stop anyone from breaking the requirement of using any
> Lisp as the destination for Boot code. I translated one section of Boot
> code directly into Icon. Of course there is much in Boot than assumes Lisp
> lists. But that is not an impossible task to change.

If one want to test independence of Lisp, then IMO Poplog is an
interesting possiblity.  Poplog has execution engine that is in
many aspects similar to Lisp, but different in some other aspects.
For example in Poplog "words" have single value, which may be
a piece of data or a function.  Poplog have data types needed by
Spad: booleans, big integers, lists, vectors, arrays.  Poplog have
"words" that could be a basis for Spad symbols.  Or alternatively,
in Poplog one can define new type for Spad symbols.

Poplog execution engine is general enough to support several
languages.  Core language is Pop11, which has Pascal like
syntax, but higher level semantics.  Name Poplog came because
Poplog execution engine supports Prolog (so Poplog is an
abbreviation of Pop11+Prolog).  There are 2 other languages
implemented in Poplog: SML and Common Lisp.  Currently FriCAS
can run using Common Lisp.  But it would be interesting to
target lower level of Poplog directly, bypassing Common Lisp.