Thank you, Waldek,

that explains the behaviour much better. I suspected that there must be some numerics involved, but when I had put debugging output near places where I saw Float-s, that never appeared, so I got a bit confused and didn't want to waste more time on this.

Potentially, I would be in favour of letting imag or real fail if the sign cannot be determined correctly. In that case the error message should contain a hint that it might be helpful to increase the Float digits.

On the other hand, it looks like FriCAS is anyway spitting out radical expressions that are more complicated than needed. I tried rsimp on them but that failed, unfortunately. Seemingly Mathematica is trying harder in ToRadicals.

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ToRadicals.html

Side remark. I am actually not so happy with the name rsimp or rootSimp.
Cannot FriCAS stick to the convention that we have full words and no abbreviations in function names?

Ralf