Hmmmm, am somehow unable to find where the transformation to the SExpression below happens. Does that have to do with '%specialDisp?
But even then I could not find a special treatment for 'factorial.

Background of this question.
I actually wanted to tweak Format1D locally so that it prints
factorial(a) instead of a!. But obviously ยด'factorial is not a known operator for OutputForm, so it is basically impossible to output factorial differently.

Ralf

%%% (511) -> fa := factorial a

   (511)  a!
                                      Type: Expression(Integer)

%%% (517) -> kfa := kernels(fa).1

   (517)  a!
                              Type: Kernel(Expression(Integer))

%%% (519) -> (kfa::OutputForm) pretend SExpression

   (519)  (CONCAT a !)
                                              Type: SExpression