Minister says B.C. treaty talks can be
salvaged
But some 'unproductive' tables should be shut
down to focus on others, John Duncan claims
By Peter O'Neil,
Vancouver SunNovember 5, 2011 3:10
AM
Indian Affairs Minister John Duncan said Friday
he shares the concern of the B.C. government, West Coast first nations and the
mining industry over the molasses-slow treaty process that has resulted in just
two treaties and $500 million in costs racked up by first nations over two
decades.
But Duncan rejects any argument that the treaty
process, launched with great optimism in 1992, is so broken that it can't be
salvaged.
B.C. Premier Christy Clark said Thursday she's
pushing for development deals outside the treaty process because both her
government and first nations are "fed up" waiting for economic progress in
treaty talks.
Sophie Pierre, head of the B.C. Treaty
Commission, said last month the commission should be shaken up or shut down
because "bureaucratic inertia" and lack of political will in Ottawa are
stalling
progress.
In May, the Mining Association of B.C. said
Ottawa's commitment had "waned" and called on the federal government to show
greater leadership on the treaty process.
While Duncan said the government's political
will is strong, he said he understands why other stakeholders in the treaty
process are voicing frustration.
"I'm well aware of all of those statements ...
and it's a recognition of reality. The process is a slow process," Duncan told
The Vancouver Sun on Friday.
And he said he'll take responsibility for
improving the situation.
"I will wear it if there's issues that are
obvious that we should be addressing that we're not and I'm prepared to try to
make changes."
Both the federal and B.C. governments have
stressed the importance of boosting Canada's resource sector in the face of a
possible global recession and a 2009 PricewaterhouseCoopers report said
settling
treaties could generate $10 billion in economic activity.
"We recognize that not having certainty is an
impediment to economic development and to the well-being of first nations and
society in general," Duncan said.
The minister said he agrees with Pierre that 12
to 16 treaties could be completed by 2015 if changes are made.
"We could probably do that, and I would consider
that great progress, and so that's something that we'll try to do," Duncan
said.
"And just looking over the next 12 months I
think we can contribute to an order of magnitude that would get us
there."
Duncan said he'll consider encouraging some
first nations at "unproductive" tables to abandon talks while more successful
negotiations proceed, although he is awaiting a report from a special adviser
before moving ahead on that issue.
"We agree with the treaty commission and others
that some of those tables should probably just be shut down and we should focus
on the ones that are making progress," he said.
"We have to bring a sense of urgency so you're
not actually finding me disagreeing with Sophie on all this. I'm quite
supportive of what her direction is."
Sixty B.C. first nations, representing roughly
two-thirds of the province's aboriginal population, are involved in 49 sets of
negotiations.
There are 43 first nations negotiating
agreements-inprinciple and eight are in the process of finalizing
treaties.
But only two of them have implemented treaties -
the Tsawwassen First Nation and the Maa-nulth First Nation on Vancouver
Island's
west coast. Three others - the Lheidli T'enneh, Sliammon and Yale first nations
- have final treaties that haven't been ratified.
pon...@postmedia.com Twitter.com/poneilinottawa
Read my blog, Letter from Ottawa, at http:
//bit.ly/osX6F5