Please
distribute widely:

TSILHQOT’IN LAUNCH COURT CASE
AGAINST EXPLORATION APPROVALS FOR THE CONTROVERSIAL “NEW” PROSPERITY
PROPOSAL

Tsilhqot’in charge British
Columbia with breaches of consultation duties

WILLIAMS LAKE, BC. Nov. 11,
2011:The
Tsilhqot’in Nation has launched a court challenge asking the B.C. Supreme Court
to invalidate or suspend approvals granted by British Columbia to Taseko Mines
Limited for extensive drilling, excavation, timber clearing, road construction
and other exploratory work for its controversial “New” Prosperity Mine.

The Tsilhqot’in Nation and the
Xeni Gwet’in (one of the Tsilhqot’in communities closest to the proposed mine)
filed a petition for judicial review of the approvals yesterday.  The
petition alleges that Crown officials breached their duties to consult and
accommodate the Tsilhqot’in and failed to extend even “the most basic
courtesies
of consultation”, such as notice that approvals for drilling and road
construction were granted.  Six weeks after the approval for this work, the
Tsilhqot’in are still waiting for a rationale for the
decision.

Xeni Gwet’in Chief Marilyn
Baptiste said that the Tsilhqot’in consider the affected area “a cultural
school, a place for social gatherings, a ‘grocery store’ for country foods, and
a place for ceremony”.  Last November, the Federal Government rejected the
original Prosperity Mine proposal, based on a scathing report by an independent
federal panel highlighting a host of environmental and cultural impacts,
including “high magnitude” and “irreversible” impacts on Tsilhqot’in
traditional
use in this area of “unique and special significance to the Tsilhqot’in”.

“This company went through years
of exploration for its failed first bid,” said Chief Baptiste, “Now they want
23
kilometres of road, all for this new mine proposal that the company knows – and
has publicly stated – is worse for the environment that its preferred
option.  We are appealing to the court to uphold the principles of fairness
and justice.”

“We’re talking about serious
impacts for our rights and our culture,” said Chief Joe Alphonse, Tribal Chair
of the Tsilhqot’in National Government.  “The Province refused to
acknowledge these impacts, no matter what we say; it is more concerned with
handing over approvals.  We’ve gone to court before, we’ve stood in front
of the federal panel, we have proven over and over again how important these
lands are to our people and our culture – but the Province never seems to get
the message”.

Their lawyer, Jay Nelson, said:
“it’s alarming that the Province didn’t take basic steps like notifying the
Tsilhqot’in when it approved the drilling and road construction in this
area.  It handed the company this approval six weeks ago and the
Tsilhqot’in are still waiting for a rationale for the decision.  We all
know this is a high conflict situation, and this kind of disrespect only throws
fuel on the fire”.

Media
contacts:   Jay Nelson
(Woodward and Company LLP) 778.678.4699.

Chief Joe Alphonse, TNG Tribal Chair & Chief of Tl’etinqox-t’in
(250-305-8282 – Messages Only)

cannot be approved

Ten facts that
show why resubmitted Prosperity Mine proposal cannot be
approved

1. The CEAA
review panel process was very different from the BC EAO rubber-stamp decision.
Its report found immitigable, devastating impacts to the local fish stocks and
endangered grizzly populations, and to the existing and future rights of the
Tsilhqot’in and its youth. Then Environment Minister Jim Prentice described the
report’s findings as “scathing” and “probably the most condemning I
have ever read.”

2. The company knows its new option
is worse than its first plan. TML’s V.P. Corporate Affairs, Brian Battison, was
clear in his Mar. 22, 2010, opening presentation to the CEAA hearings, when he
stated: “Developing Prosperity means draining Fish Lake.  We wish it
were otherwise.  We searched hard for a different way. A way to retain the
lake and have the mine.  But there is no viable alternative.  The lake
and the deposit sit side by side.  It is not possible to have one without
the loss of the other.”

3. The point was emphasised by TML’s
VP of engineering, Scott Jones, who stated: “What happens to the water
quality in Fish Lake, if you try and preserve that body of water with the
tailings facility right up against it, is that over time the water quality in
Fish Lake will become equivalent to the water quality in the pore water of the
tailings facility, particularly when it’s close.”

4. This proposal does not address the
issues that led to the rejection of the first bid last year. Fish Lake will be
affected by the toxic waste and eventually die, and it will be surrounded by a
massive open pit mine and related infrastructure for decades.  The
Tsilhqot’in people will not have access to their spiritual place, and the area
will never be returned to the current pristine state.

It is not even new. It is “Mine
Development Plan 2.”  TML states on page 20 of its project submission: “Option
2 is the basis for the New Prosperity design …The concepts that lead
to the configuration of MDP Option 2 have been utilized to develop the project
description currently being proposed.”

5. This option was looked at and
rejected last year by the company, Environment Canada and the CEAA review
panel.
For example, page 65 of the review report states:  “The Panel agrees
with the observations made by Taseko and Environment Canada that Mine
Development Plans 1 and 2 would result in greater long-term environmental risk
than the preferred alternative.”

6. The new $300 million in proposed
spending is to cover the costs of relocating mine waste a little further away.
There is nothing in the ‘new’ plan to mitigate all the environmental impacts
identified in the previous assessment. TML states in its economic statement:
“The new development design, predicated on higher long term prices for both
copper and gold, would result in a direct increase in capital costs of $200
million to purchase additional mining equipment to relocate the tailings dam
and
to move the mine waste around Fish Lake to new locations. This redesign also
adds $100 million in direct extra operating costs over the 20-year mine life to
accomplish that task.” In fact, this new spending is actually $37 million
less than the company said last year it would have to spend just to go with the
option that it and the review panel agreed would be worse for the
environment.

7.  The federal government is
required under the Constitution to protect First Nations, which have been found
to be under serious threat in this case, and is internationally committed to do
so under the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
These duties are every bit as clear regarding this resubmitted proposal.

8.  Approving this mine would
show the Environmental Assessment process is meaningless, and would demonstrate
that governments are ignoring their obligations -  as the Assembly of First
Nations  national chiefs-in-assembly made this crystal clear this summer in
their resolution of support for the Tsilhqot’in.

9.  The federal Department of
Fisheries and Oceans has opposed this project since it was first raised in
1995.
It soundly rejected it again last year. It has no reason to support it now. Nor
does Environment Canada, which, as the CEAA report noted last year, also found
option 2 to be worse than the original bid.

10.  There are many other more
worthy projects to be pursued – the vast majority of which, if not all will
require working with aboriginal communities. Natural Resources Canada estimates
there is $350 billion-$500 billion worth of such potential projects in
Canada.  Governments, industry and investors do not need to go backwards by
pushing this confrontational proposal and rebuffing efforts by First Nations to
find a way to create a better mining system that would benefit everyone in the
long run.