Secwepemc leaders strategize
on PM meeting
December 9, 2011

By Mike Youds
Daily News
Staff Reporter
Housing and water are bound to be near the top
of the agenda when Prime Minister Stephen Harper meets with aboriginal leaders
next month in Ottawa.
The Indian Act, however, remains a colossal
stumbling block as First Nations struggle to improve the quality of life for
their members, Whispering Pines Chief Mike LeBourdais said Friday.
The Shuswap Nation Tribal Council expects to
have a seat at the table of a Crown-First Nations gathering set for Jan. 24,
2012. During a tribal council meeting earlier this week, Secwepemc leaders
agreed to reconvene Jan. 11 to strategize on the gathering, LeBourdais
said.
The PMO announced the gathering as a crisis
continued to mount in the James Bay community of Attawapiskat, Ont. Inadequate
housing and a shortage of supplies cast a national spotlight on the Cree
village, although the issues are widespread, particularly among remote northern
communities.
LeBourdais said attention has focused on the $90
million Ottawa has transferred to the community, but that can be misleading.
The
funding amounts to $17 million annually and there are always conditions imposed
by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC), he said. Some of those conditions
make no sense whatsoever.
As an example, he cited INAC funding for water
on the Whispering Pines reserve. There are five wells on the reserve, but only
one provides potable water, servicing six homes, as the others contain high
nitrate levels.
“The frustration is with INAC’s policy and a
lack of common sense. The clean water well is not funded, even though it’s the
only well that will provide clean drinking water. They will fund the wells that
can’t provide clean drinking water.”
For the past four years, the band has paid
Canadian Clear to truck in water at a cost of $32,000. INAC has agreed to
compensate the band for that cost, but the money hasn’t arrived. The department
has said it would fund the functioning well, but only if five homes were using
it, not six.
“This is the logic we have to deal with at
Indian Affairs.”
Yet LeBourdais, who spoke earlier in the week to
a NorKam class about aboriginal issues in Canada, holds out hope for the
future.
“It was kind of refreshing,” he said. “I was
very hopeful for the next generation.”
Secwepemc First Nations are not faced with
crises as severe as Attawapiskat, but they do wrestle with the same archaic
system, he said.
“The similarity is the Indian Act and the
practices followed and interpreted by the bureaucrats. That’s what leads to
poor
housing conditions and poor water.”
However, the Indian Act will have to be dealt
with piece by piece.
“Over time, I’m hopeful we can replace that with
something that works for future generations.”

Click here for reuse
options!