To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 6:32:36 AM
Subject: Fw: [TIDE] Defend Secwepemc Sacred Headwaters [from Janice Billy]

FYI
From: Corvin Russell
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 12:59 AM
To: turtle-island-defenders-of-the-ea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [TIDE] Defend Secwepemc Sacred Headwaters [from Janice
Billy]
  [Sign
the petition here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protect-our-sacred-headwaters/ ]

The Secwepemc Walk for Protection of Our
Sacred Headwaters was a great success this past Sunday December 11,
2011.  Grandparents, mothers, children, elders, fishermen and
hunters participated in the walk.

The walk began at the Adams Lake Reserve
with an opening prayer by Secwepmemc elder Sarah Deneault. A sacred fire was
lit
where prayers were offered to protect the watershed and salmon habitat and all
our foods from destruction. The walk proceeded through Adams Lake Reserve to
distribute information about the exploratory drilling and proposed Ruddock
Creek
lead-zinc mine and to gather signatures for the petition. The petition was
presented during the walk and 152 signatures were collected. We will continue
gathering signatures and informing our people and others of the destruction of
our lands.

“This proposed mine threatens our sacred
watershed,” addressed Secwepemc mother.  Imperial Metals is
proposing the “Ruddock Creek Project” the development of a zinc-lead mine at
the
Sacred Headwaters of the Adams River Watershed.  The proposed
mine is located in the glaciers, at 1500-2300 meters (4921 - 7546 feet) near
Tumtum Lake at the headwaters of Ruddock Creek and Oliver Creek in the Monashee
Mountain Range, 155 km northeast of Kamloops, BC, 77 km east of Clearwater and
45 km southeast of Blue River.

This proposed project is located in unceded,
un-surrendered Secwepemc Territory and home to the world’s largest Sockeye
Salmon Run. Ruddock Creek flows into Lake Revelstoke and Oliver Creek flows
into
upper Adams River and Adams Lake. Everyone downstream from the mine site,
including the Thompson and Fraser Rivers and all the way to the Pacific Ocean
will be devastated by the destruction of the Salmon and Water from this
proposed
mine.

Secwepemc came together during this walk to
address the issues that a mine of this sort will have on our water sources,
people, salmon and animals who depend on them. As well, the pristine wilderness
and ecologically sensitive area is within the Secwepemc spiritual sites,
hunting, fishing, berry, and medicine harvesting areas.

After participants gathered at the Neskonlith Hall to feast and plan
further actions. Watch for further information and events.  E
mail comments to saveourtm...@hotmail.com