Operations
BC Assembly of First
Nations
#507-100 Park Royal
South
West Vancouver, BC V7T
1A2
Tel: 604 922-7733
Fax: 604 922-7433
Cell:
778-772-8681
mailto:recept...@bcafn.ca
www.bcafn.ca

________________________________

A S S E M B L Y  O
F  F I R S T   N A T I O N S
UPDATE – December 23, 2011

Greetings! First Nations are
clearly very engaged in the preparations for the Crown-first Nations Gathering.
Our office has received a great deal of interest and the planning is well
underway. We greatly appreciate the time and effort so many of you have taken
provide your thoughts and reflections on this important event. I am pleased to
provide Chiefs across Canada this update on our activities.

CROWN-FIRST NATIONS GATHERING
UPDATE: DECEMBER 23, 2011

Background

What is this?
On December 1, 2011 the Prime
Minister officially confirmed the Crown – First Nations Gathering would take
place in Ottawa, on January 24th, 2012.

This Gathering will take place
with representatives of the Crown - the Prime Minister and members of the
Cabinet - and First Nations. The Crown–First Nation Gathering is aimed at
re-setting the relationship between First Nations and the federal government.
It
is the first meeting for Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the collective First
Nation leadership. The gathering builds directly on the historic statement of
apology, the endorsement of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of
Indigenous Peoples as well as collaborative efforts like the Specific Claims
Tribunal and the creation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The
Crown-First Nation Gathering creates the potential to take the next step
forward
in our relationship and advance a forward-looking agenda.

How did the meeting come
about?
This meeting has come directly
from a call by First Nations leadership. At our 2010 Annual General Assembly,
Chiefs expressed the need for a meeting with the Crown to discuss our issues.
The Prime Minister committed to this gathering in a letter released in December
2010 during our Special Chiefs Assembly. In June 2011, the Canada-First Nations
Joint Action brought forward First Nation mandated direction with commitment to
address immediate priorities including education, treaty implementation, policy
reform in key areas like comprehensive claims as well as specific measures to
support First Nation governments and economies. The Action Plan also referenced
work to advance and confirm a Crown-First Nations Gathering. The National Chief
met with the Prime Minister on December 1, 2011 and announced confirmation of
the meeting for January 24, 2012.

What is the agenda?
While a formal draft agenda will
be shared soon, the following framework is the basis of the agenda development:
Part One: Ceremony reflecting
and affirming the enduring relationship between First Nations and the Crown as
well as confirming the heritage and future of Indigenous peoples’ as
fundamental
to Canadian reality, identity and culture.
Part Two: Addresses by First
Nation and Crown leadership
Part Three: Concurrent sessions
on agreed-upon topics to maximize opportunity for submission for the First
Nation delegations to present its views and to dialogue with members of
Cabinet,
caucus and federal officials as designated. The themes for the sessions would
include:
·         Strengthening the Relationship
and Enabling Opportunities (Treaties, rights, governance, jurisdiction, title,
etc.)
·         Unlocking the Potential of
First Nation Economies (economic development, partnerships, land issues)
·         Realizing the Promise of First
Nations Peoples (education, health, safe and secure communities, etc.)
Part Four: Summary to conclude
concurrent session and setting a forward looking agenda

Gathering Location
We do not yet have confirmation
of the physical location in Ottawa for the Gathering. Efforts to secure space
have been hampered by the fact that a major sporting event (NHL All-Star game)
will be taking place in Ottawa the following weekend and most of the conference
facilities in Ottawa are already booked. Despite this, there are a couple of
appropriate government locations being considered and we anticipate
confirmation
of the Ottawa location to come soon.

Delegations
The core principle of planning
this event has been and continues to be that it is inclusive. The venue itself
will dictate some limitations on the size of the delegation that can be in the
room at any one time. Still, we are working hard to ensure that any Chief who
wishes to engage will have a meaningful opportunity to do so. For example, we
will maximize the size of the delegation that will be in the room and consider
ways in which delegations can trade off during different segments. We will also
provide a delegates room that is supplied with satellite feed of the entire
proceedings.

We are also finalizing ten (10)
unique regional video-conferencing locations for Chiefs participation. More
details on the specific locations will be coming soon. We are also confirming a
second Ottawa location equipped with space for delegates as well as officials
and others who would like to attend. Finally, all Nations are able to provide a
written submission which will be featured on the web-site and as part of the
record of the event.

All share an interest in
maximizing this important opportunity. This naturally requires a level of
organization to ensure key issues and interests are effectively addressed.

It will be important that each
region coordinate their delegations to ensure that they are represented in a
manner which is meaningful to them, and to help determine what priorities they
would like address throughout the meeting. The more pre-meeting work we
conduct,
the more effective the outcome of the day itself will be.

Accessibility
As already indicated, the
Gathering will be linked by video conference for Chiefs across Canada to
actively participate remotely. In addition, we are ensuring that interested
parties across Canada can observe online through a webcast and we are working
with various media broadcast companies - many of which are interested in
covering the event for television.

Website
We have engaged the services of
an Information Technology company to help develop a website for Gathering. The
site will provide details on the agenda, facilitate online registration,
provide
background information and be a clearing house for the Gathering, both now and
in the future. Once the website is live we will send out the details.

Registration
A formal registration process
will be launched soon. In the interim we are asking Chiefs who are intending
to participate in the Gathering to register by January 4, 2012. This is a
result of the need to ensure all security protocols are followed for such
meetings. We understand this early date is proving to be difficult for some;
however, we would appreciate all those who can to register their delegations by
email at c...@afn.ca.

January 23, 2012
To help ensure that we are fully
coordinated a pre-session is being planned for January 23, 2012. This will
provide us all with an opportunity to receive the latest information on the
Gathering, confirm our delegations, conduct our own ceremonies and be fully
prepared for the Gathering itself. Once again, more information will be coming
on this shortly. This day will also include an opportunity for regional or
other
caucus as requested.

Next Steps
It is clear that we will have
much work to do. In the short term, we will confirm the locations and the
web-site address within the coming days. As well, during the first week of
January, we will confirm the video-conference sites once we have responses from
all regional offices.
In addition, we would appreciate
receiving the following from Chiefs across Canada on the following:
·         Who would attend the
Pre-Gathering planning session in Ottawa on January 23rd, 2012;
·         Who would attend the
Crown-First Nation Gathering on January 24th
·         Who will attend the regional
video conference sites?
·         Are there written submissions
that delegations would like to provide?

Finally, I would like to request
that as we prepare ourselves for this event, we also take into consideration
the
need to prepare with ceremonies at home prior to January 24, 2012. Through
ceremony we will be able to seek guidance, strength and direction. This will be
as important as any other preparations we make and encourage all of our
spiritual leaders to help in our efforts.

We will be vigilant. We will be
ready. We will look to take an important and significant step forward in our
relationship and our agenda with the Crown.

A new update will come shortly
in the New Year. Until then, I want to wish you a safe and happy holiday
season!

Kleco! Kleco!
National Chief Shawn A-in-chut
Atleo