Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:07:58 AM

Subject: THE NATION: Run Romeo, run

19-05-January 13, 2012
News
Run Romeo, run
The historic gamble of the first
Native federal leadership candidate
By Daniel David

Romeo Saganash has a bronchial
infection. His breathing is laboured; his voice is almost a croak. His face is
framed by a wave of longish curly hair. The clothes are expensive, stylish and
businessman dark. He’s been fighting an chest infection for a week or so, made
worse by a short campaign trip to the west coast and then a quick flight back
Montreal to take part in the NDP’s televised leadership debate.
“I was afraid my voice wasn’t
there,” he says about his debate performance. “But I got through
okay.”

Saganash is one of eight people
vying to replace Jack Layton and lead the federal New Democratic Party, the
Official Opposition in the House of Commons. And he's raising eyebrows. In
fact,
there were more than a few pundits in both the English and French media who
gave
Saganash unexpectedly high marks. Why unexpected? Because Saganash isn’t like
the other candidates.

Saganash is a newcomer to the NDP.
He didn’t earn his stripes working up the ranks of the party, or work on
anyone’s election campaign. This lack of political bones may be a factor
against
Romeo even if it was the late Jack Layton who personally recruited him to run
as
the party's candidate in the riding of Abitibi-Baie
James-Nunavik-Eeyou.

Then there’s the fact that he’s a
northerner, representing a huge but sparsely populated northern riding.
Finally,
Saganash is Cree, and the first Aboriginal person to ever run for the
leadership
of any national political party in Canada.

Yet, the overall assessment of
Saganash’s performance paralleled his own about his vocal performance. “My
voice
got stronger as we got going, especially in the French debates.” Pundits said
he
“started late” but improved as the debates went on in both languages. Saganash
says it was his first time in the glare of national audiences and it took
awhile
for him to get up to speed.

A lot of people expected Saganash
to do well in the French debates. After Thomas Mulcair, Saganash is the most
fluent candidate in French. Despite the “mutual admiration society” as one
pundit described both the English and French debates, commentators said
Saganash
won points on issues like the environment, resource development and Native
issues. Saganash had better do well on these files since he’s worked on them
for
most of his professional life.

Romeo Saganash was born in
Waswanipi, “survived” 10 years in residential school and returned home to a
choice; pursue the life of his father and ancestors, or take another
path.

“Well, if my father had been there
when I got out, I would’ve gone to the bush and lived that way of life. He died
the first year I went to residential school. That killed my hopes of becoming
like him, living like him, and pursuing that traditional way of
life.”

Saganash spent two years in the
bush, but it was a panel discussion in 1985 looking back at the first 10 years
of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement that changed the direction of
his
life. There were speakers on this panel from Hydro Québec, officials of the
federal and Québec governments, but also James O’Reilly, a Montreal lawyer who
represented the Cree during the JBNQA negotiations.

“I sat there listening to them,”
Romeo says today. “I listened to James O’Reilly. And I thought to myself: ‘I
can
do that!’”

The following year, 1986, Saganash
enrolled in law at the Université du Québec à Montréal. He graduated in
1989.

Almost immediately, the Grand
Council of the Cree recruited Saganash to set up a Quebec City office to work
on
Cree Government and International Relations. This work would focus on two
increasingly vital issues that threatened to undermine the JBQNA. Quebec’s
plans
to build more hydro dams on northern rivers would also literally pave the way
for mining companies to begin operations across Cree territory. The federal
government, on the other hand, seemed content to ignore its commitments to the
Cree while hoping that no one of political consequence noticed.

Complaints about the federal
government’s negligence snowballed as years passed over the cost of building
roads, homes, and new schools. And so it went.

The Cree said many of the problems
were due to Ottawa’s failure to keep its end of the bargain. In almost every
case, these problems also infected the Cree relationship with Quebec. In short,
Quebec didn’t want to be caught holding the bag for anything Ottawa did or
didn’t do.

Caught in the middle, Cree
agencies launched lawsuits to pressure both levels of government to make good
on
their parts of the Agreement, or have the courts settle the matter for them. By
the time the 25th anniversary of the signing of the JBQNA rolled by, Cree
lawsuits against both the federal and Quebec governments totalled about $6
billion.

Saganash says breaking this legal
logjam became his priority. He visited every Cree community to explain why they
needed to break the deadlock. It was costing the Cree a fortune in legal bills
each year just to keep the lawsuits alive. Saganash and others felt the time
was
ripe to negotiate a new deal to create jobs and jumpstart stalled development.
This eventually produced the Paix des Braves.

The 1990s had garnered
international notice for the Crees' headline-grabbing activism. Cree paddlers
on
the Hudson River generated global opposition to Hydro Québec’s plans to dam the
Great Whale River system.

As the only indigenous group from
Canada recognized by the United Nations as a non-governmental group, the Cree
helped open doors at global forums so other Aboriginal peoples from Canada and
elsewhere could also raise their concerns. Eventually, these efforts developed
into a 20-year effort to define a “Draft Declaration” on the rights of
Indigenous peoples.

Then Jack called.
“The first time he asked me was in
2006," Saganash recalled. "I was a guest speaker at an NDP Quebec convention in
Saint Jerôme. I was to speak on Aboriginal rights in Canada. Jack happened to
be
there. After my presentation we chatted for a while. He said, ‘Would you
consider running for my party?’”

Saganash said he wasn’t ready at
that time. His children were still in school, negotiations at the UN on a Draft
Declaration were at a critical stage, and the Cree had him working on the Paix
des Braves. He says Jack called every now and then over the next four
years.

“There wasn’t any pressure. He
just wanted to know how things were. Or he’d ask about something dealing with
Aboriginal issues.”

In February 2011, however, “He
called up. This time, I told him: ‘Jack, I think I’m ready this time.’ He
immediately asked, ‘What are you doing tomorrow?’ I had meetings set for the
next morning but I flew down to Toronto the next afternoon. I went to Jack’s
house and we sat at that kitchen table, that same kitchen table where everyone
sat with Jack to plan the next election campaign.”

The rest is history. On May 2, the
NDP swept aside Quebec's long dominant Bloc Québécois in a mass political shift
dubbed the “Orange Crush.” Saganash won in a riding nearly three times the size
of France but with less population than a medium-sized city, where the
best-ever
result for the NDP had been a second-place score of 28 per cent in 1988. The
federal riding of Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou stretches from near Val d’Or
in the south to Nunavik in the north, and includes Inuit, Cree, Algonquin,
Attikamekw, Innu, territories and populations.

The riding is also the focus of
Jean Charest’s multi-decade Plan Nord, a grand blueprint for a resource
extraction and industrial development boom.

In politics, timing is crucial. In
the federal election, voters in Quebec were ready for a change. The world is in
a global financial meltdown that Canada cannot escape. Uncertainty about jobs,
an aging Quebec workforce nearing retirement, worries about cuts to social,
health and education programs are ingredients in a recipe for political change.
Voters are receptive to messages of hope instead of the grim conservative fear
mongering of uncertainty and pain. All of which raises questions about the
timing of Saganash’s decision to run for the leadership of the NDP.

Robert Kanatewat is from Chisasibi
and a long-time fixture in Cree politics. He became an activist in the 1970s
campaigns against Robert Bourassa’s plans to divert and build hydroelectric
dams
on rivers flowing into James Bay. He’s never stopped his involvement in Cree
affairs. At the Special Chiefs Assembly of the Assembly of First Nations in
Ottawa, he said he wasn’t sure why Romeo Saganash chose this time to launch a
leadership bid.

“I think he’s brave to run for the
leadership of the NDP,” Kanatewat says. “Especially since he’s only been an MP
for less than a year.” If Saganash actually overcomes the long odds to win the
NDP leadership, it will take him away from his constituents, Kanatewat
warns.

“I wonder if he’s been to every
part of his riding,” questions Kanatewat. "I don’t know if he’s been to
Nunavik,
or if he’s been back to the Cree communities, or if people in the rest of his
own riding know very much about him."

To Russell Diabo, it’s more than
just a case of poor timing; it’s about harsh reality and numbers. Diabo, a
Mohawk from Kahnawake, is a disenchanted former Liberal who once worked in the
trenches to establish an Aboriginal caucus. He quit, frustrated by the internal
Liberal Party machinery, mostly an old-boys network, which had little
understanding or sympathy for Indigenous rights let alone a real role for an
Aboriginal caucus within the party structure.

“My understanding is that the NDP
have a one vote per party member system, unlike the Liberals who had a delegate
selection process,” Diabo observes. “But most of the NDP membership is in the
West, not in Quebec. As we know, there was only one MP from Quebec before this
last election. It’s hard to say if the NDP can maintain that support into the
next election.

"As for Romeo’s leadership race, I
think he’s way at the back of the pack although it’s nice to see him up there.
think he has some things to say. Certainly in the Quebec and Aboriginal
experience, he has something to say that the rest of Canada could learn from if
they wanted to listen.”

But to Diabo, it still all boils
down to numbers.
“When we were in the Liberal
Party, we identified 16 ridings where Aboriginal peoples held the balance of
voting power. But we don’t have a history of participating in the mainstream
vote. As you know, we didn’t have the vote until 1960, 1968 in Quebec. And a
lot
of people feel that mainstream politics isn’t our system and they don’t want to
participate in a ‘foreign’ system.’"

Regardless, Saganash said he’s the
only candidate of the eight people running for the leadership who has crossed
the country looking for support. He insists that he’s running a mainstream
campaign with one difference from the others – he includes Aboriginal
communities.

“There has not been one single
community that has not said we cannot support you. I met with an Ontario
delegation recently and I’m positive from the reaction I got from them. I’m
going to meet with another Ontario group (of chiefs) at the AFN Assembly. I’ve
been getting expressions of support and I think that will continue.”

But did any Aboriginal group
promise to officially endorse his leadership? Or to deliver votes for his
leadership by signing people up as members of the NDP? More to the point, has
the Grand Council of the Cree officially endorsed Romeo Saganash’s leadership
aspirations with the NDP?

The answer to all of these
questions (so far): No, they haven’t. Not officially. Some people may act as
individuals, may join the NDP so they can vote for Romeo. But it’s unlikely,
according to Russell Diabo, that any official Aboriginal group will publically
endorse Romeo Saganash.

Patrick Madahbee, Grand Council
Chief of the Anishinabek Nation, is more blunt. “Officially we have rules
within
our organization. We have to work with all these parties. Obviously, we have
friends in some parties and enemies too. So we have to work with all of them.
Our official position is that we can’t endorse other governments. We are our
own
Anishnabek Government. We have our own election process to elect our own
government at the local and national level. And that’s our
government.”

However, Madahbee adds, he’d be
happy to see the Anishnabek newspaper run an article, campaign material or
anything else to make sure that people are aware of Saganash, someone he met
only a couple of weeks ago and considers “a very intelligent man.”

Ghislain Picard is Regional Chief
for the Assembly of First Nations of Quebec and Labrador. He says there should
be a debate within communities to decide for themselves to get more involved in
mainstream politics.

“If you ask the chiefs though,”
Picard nods his head toward the conference hall where the Assembly of First
Nations was meeting, “the discussion can only go so far. To me, the fact that
so
many of our people have become more involved, especially in this last election
in the mainstream political parties and process, especially within the NDP, a
lot of people are saying that maybe it’s time we sent our best
warriors.”