--- On Sun, 2/5/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: War and Peace: Illusions of partnership at Conservative-First Nations
gathering
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

Published on rabble.ca
(http://rabble.ca)

War and Peace: Illusions of partnership
at Conservative-First Nations gathering
By Pamela
Palmater
Created Feb
5 2012 - 11:56am

[1]Pamela Palmater

Story_publish_date:

February 5, 2012

summary:

War and Peace -- those were the two
symbols that kept popping into my mind as I watched the Canada-First Nations
Gathering in Ottawa on January 24, 2012.

War and Peace -- those were the two symbols that kept
popping into my mind as I watched the Canada-First Nations Gathering in Ottawa
on January 24, 2012. My father always told me to pay careful attention to my
surroundings and that even the smallest of signs could be an indication of the
real threat behind someone's words or actions. He was always curious about
people, how their minds worked and how their actions often betrayed their real
intentions. He felt it was important for me to always keep that in the back of
my mind.
So, when I watched what was called the "Crown-First Nation
Gathering" but was really a meeting between Harper, a few Conservative Cabinet
Ministers, and too many bureaucrats on one side, and a very limited number of
First Nation Chiefs on the other -- I knew my father was right. Liberal and NDP
MPs were not allowed to attend, but instead had to sit in the media room where
was watching the events. Thus, unless someone has anointed Prime Minister
Harper
King of Canada, this was far from a "Crown" First Nation gathering -- but
instead was a Conservative meeting with the AFN and selected Chiefs.
True to my father's advice, I decided that I would pay
attention to all aspects of this "gathering". The first thing is how the
meeting
came about. The promise of this meeting had been made several times by the
Harper Conservatives as part of their election campaigns. This promised meeting
was not born of any interest in building partnerships between the Crown and
First Nations, but was born instead of political aspirations, self-interest and
self-promotion. Even once Harper was elected, many years went by and no
meeting.
It was not until the horrific conditions in Attawapiskat were highlighted by
the
media and Harper could not easily deflect the attention that the Conservatives
were shamed into finally setting a date for his "election promise"
meeting.
The other thing I noticed was that this meeting was called
in a rush. It was announced at the height of the Attawapiskat media frenzy and
to the shock of most First Nations leaders and communities. This goes to show
how little consultation or partnership is really at the base of the current
"relationship" between First Nations and Canada. It also shows how little
consultation there is between AFN and First Nations. Yet, despite how many
surprises the Conservatives pull out of their... hats, they seem to be fairly
certain that National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) Shawn Atleo
will support them.
They must be very certain of Atleo's unconditional support,
because the way in which the gathering unfolded really showed how little
consideration the Conservatives have for First Nations. The whole event was
entirely controlled by the Conservatives, in terms of the rushed date, the very
restricted agenda, the attendees, location, speakers, and timing. More than
that, the entire meeting was steeped in symbolism, none of which reflected our
peoples, Nations and histories, but was representative of the dictatorial and
confrontational stance of the Conservatives vis-a-vis our Nations.
The meeting was held on Conservative territory -- the John
Diefenbaker building -- on Sussex Drive in Ottawa. Diefenbaker was a
Conservative Prime Minister from 1957 to 1963. He is credited with repealing
the
laws that prevented "Indians" from voting in elections. He did little to
address
the poverty or blatant discrimination against First Nations, the atrocities
being committed in residential schools, or the denial of treaty and land
rights.
His contribution was self-serving -- expanding what he obviously hoped would be
a supportive new electorate.
The meeting itself was very tightly controlled by the
Conservatives, and changes were made to the agenda, the attendee list, location
and other logistics on nearly a daily basis leading up to the meeting. At one
point, the media reported that any Chief who wanted to attend could do so, and
we heard registration numbers of up to 400 Chiefs. Then it was confirmed that
the Prime Minister would only stay for the opening ceremonies and gift exchange
but would not attend the actual meeting. This resulted in a huge backlash by
most Chiefs, First Nations members and commentators, with the notable exception
of Atleo and the AFN who sung Harper's praises throughout.
While the media was engaged in that debate, the
Conservatives were still changing the agenda, the speakers, and were secretive
about the location. First Nations leaders didn't know whether to attend or not.
This shifted the focus away from the purpose of the meeting to whether or not
Harper would even attend. The Conservatives also asked the AFN to tell the
regional First Nation organizations to cut down the number of chiefs they'd
send
to the gathering. This of course was more than just insulting to First Nations,
many of whom had made travel arrangements when the meeting was called. So from
"any Chief who can travel to Ottawa" to well under 200 of the possible 634
Chiefs were "allowed" to attend -- the whole meeting was mired in confusion and
with little input from First Nations.
None of this organizational nightmare would compare to the
very overt symbolism embedded in the actual ceremonies. The gathering was held
in a government building, with a limited number of chiefs, separated from their
real strength -- their people, under the guard of many RCMP, undercover
security
and what looked like snipers on top of the building. It is very notable that
one
of our most respected elders in the procession was immediately followed by an
RCMP officer. Similarly, after our elder gave a prayer, this was immediately
followed up by an RCMP singing Oh Canada. This is symbolic of the very
real control of our populations by Canada's police, RCMP and military. Our
relationship has been and continues to based on control over our communities by
Canada in often harsh and deadly ways.
The fact that the Prime Minister was speaking of trust and
relationship-building while we were surrounded by RCMP and snipers was more
than
a little ironic, but is in fact a testimony to the insincerity of Canada in
moving forward in peace. Those RCMP and snipers, whether dressed in uniform red
or sniper black, represent all the over-representation of our people in their
prisons, the starlight tours, deaths in custody, brutal beatings, the deaths of
our children in residential schools brought back there by RCMP, the ignorance
by
RCMP of our murdered and missing women; and the heavy-handed repression of our
protests to protect our lands. The symbolism in this meeting reflected our
lived
realities -- but not in a good way.
I found it particularly interesting that the very symbolic
gift exchange at the gathering showed First Nations presenting Canada with a
wampum belt of peace, while Canada presented First Nations with a reproduction
of a painting depicting the War of 1812. We extend our hand in peace and Canada
asserts its dominance with a picture of war, death and military domination. A
war which was at its most basic, a battle between foreigners over our
territories resulting in the loss of lives of many thousands of First Nations
peoples living on both sides of the imaginary border between what is now Canada
and the U.S. This picture represents the loss of land, the division of our
Nations which straddle the border, the brutal control of European powers and
the
many treaty promises which would be broken afterwards.
Throughout history, First Nations have always been the ones
to extend their hands in peace and sharing. From feeding and sheltering the
first explorers during our harsh winters, to showing early settlers how to
survive our harsh winters, our people were generous, empathetic but also
politically strategic. It is much easier to negotiate treaties with groups you
have befriended -- at least that was the case with treaties between Indigenous
Nations. This is why we continue to extend a hand in peace by offering the
wampum belt. Yet, despite how many times we extend our hand in peace, Canada
strikes with an act of war. This exchange of a wampum belt for a picture of war
is symbolic of our lived realities.
In case any of you think I may have taken my father's advice
too seriously and am reading way too much into the symbolism of the event, one
need only read the speeches of PM Harper and NC Atleo and then compare that to
the Joint Action Plan issued by Canada and the AFN to see what I mean. Harper's
speech took many shots across the bow of our canoes which were not returned
when
Atleo gave his speech. Harper talked about getting rid of our "incentives"
(a.k.a. benefits) and promoting "individuals" (a.k.a. breaking up communities).
Instead of returning fire, Atleo gave a speech written for his upcoming
election
in July 2012, ignoring Harper's speech and using appealing words like "treaty
rights" and "inherent rights."
Harper spoke of keeping the Indian Act and Atleo spoke of
getting rid of it. Harper focused on a legislative agenda of more imposed
legislation related to water, education, matrimonial real property and reserve
privatization, while Atleo focused on how to appeal to his voters. Each with
their own agenda, neither focused on the grassroots First Nations peoples.
There
was no mention of the need for an emergency plan to deal with the crisis of
poverty caused by the chronic underfunding in First Nations like Attawapiskat,
Pikangikum and Kashechewan, by either Harper or Atleo. The two missed the whole
reason why the meeting was called to begin with -- a major misstep for
Atleo.
As some commentators immediately jumped on the content of
Atleo's speech as hitting all the right notes and being just what was needed, I
waited for the Joint Action Plan. Words can be inspiring, but also deceiving.
As
important as symbolism may be, the grassroots people need REAL commitment and
action on their behalf. Sadly, we would all be disappointed when we read the
Joint Action Plan. The plan read like a playbook based on Harper's speech. The
assimilation plan of the 1969 White Paper which is also reflected in Flanagan's
two books, is now being promoted under the guise of "individual opportunity."
What is worse, is that Atleo signed on to this plan fulfilling Flanagan's and
Conservative visions of "voluntary" assimilation.
All you need to be able to read between the lines is to
understand their use of code words like "individual opportunity" (destroy
communities), "solution to Canada's labour woes" (we are their labour pool),
"unlocking the potential of First Nation lands" (transfer to non-Indians) and
"maximizing benefits for all Canadians" (Canada gets rich off our remaining
lands and resource). Try reading the two speeches again, and see if you don't
see how similar this is to Flanagan's, Manny's or the Conservatives'
assimilation plans.
This "Joint Plan" is the beginning of the end if we let it
happen. Clearly, the AFN has crossed the line and no longer works on our
behalf.
Atleo now belongs in the same category as Brazeau. I wish I knew how and why
the
AFN fell so far so fast, but what matters is what we do as grassroots people to
make sure our leaders take action. Some people have told them me that I should
also look at all the political coincidences at play here. One member told me
Minister Duncan was married to a relative of Atleo's who came from the same
community of Ahousat. Another reminded me about the APTN report that
highlighted
Atleo's alleged involvement in the Bruce Carson scandal (think First Nation
water crisis and lucrative contracts).
I don't know about all of that, but what I do know is that
not only does Atleo need to go, but all those at the top at AFN who support
this
plan also need to go. We need a shake-up at the AFN if they ever hope to save
themselves as a national organization that is relevant to grassroots First
Nations. The AFN has even lost the confidence of a growing number of First
Nations Chiefs and regional organizations and these cracks will continue to
grow
unless they replace Atleo in July. We can't just replace Atleo with another
self-interested, right-leaning political wanna-be -- we need someone who will
inspire the grassroots people and reunite our leaders against the biggest
threat
to our sovereignty in many years -- the Harper majority government.
This gathering was not about partnership, it was about our
voluntary assimilation. Once we let that happen, there is no going back. Once
our lands are turned over the third parties, we'll never get them back -- just
ask the First Nations in the U.S. Once we allow non-Indians to occupy our homes
on reserve, we'll never get them back. If we allow Canada to transfer liability
for water and sewer to us without any funding, we'll never undo that law. If we
give up our power now in exchange for Senate seats, organizational funding and
photo ops, there is no negotiating it back. The time for niceties, politicking,
and shaking hands is over. Our people are being jailed, beaten, murdered and
missing, getting less education, food, water and housing, and dying pre-mature
deaths -- it's time to do something about it.
Comments
Login [2] or register [3] to post comments

  Pamela Palmater
  Assembly of First Nations
  Chief Shawn Atleo
  First Nations