--- On Sun, 3/4/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: THE GRENFELL SUN: First Nation members to vote on Flood Claim
Settlement Agreement
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

  Published on March 3, 2012

First Nation members to vote on
Flood Claim Settlement Agreement

A ratification vote for the Cowessess First
Nation band membership will soon be called to consider the approval of the
Flood
Claim Settlement Agreement and related documents.
The Flood Claim Settlement pertains to the
illegal flooding and damages sustained to some First Nations in the Qu’Appelle
Valley area in the early 1940s. In 1941, a branch of the federal government
built a “water-control structure” (dam) on Crooked Lake which caused flooding
of
some reserve lands. While the Sakimay Hay Lands suffered substantial flooding,
Cowessess First Nation also lost about 19 acres of land.
After decades of negotiations between the First
Nations, Province of Saskatchewan and Canada, a settlement package has been
produced. The package for ratification includes six agreements and a payment of
compensation for past damages arising from the 1940s flooding.
According to documents available on the band’s
website, the total compensation to be received by Cowessess First Nation will
be
just over $12 million, with a per capita distribution of $500 per band
member.
Chief Grady Lerat said he did not want to
discuss the dollars and cents, but rather the environmental impact and
importance the settlement package could possibly provide to the First
Nation.
“We don’t want to talk too much about money.
It’s the relationship that we have with the province that’s going to be of
importance,” said the Chief, adding the water agreement is the most crucial
settlement component.
A specific portion of the package upholds
specific obligations for the Province of Saskatchewan to ensure that water
levels will remain consistent and will not lower or rise above an agreed upon
level. If ratified, the Water Management Agreement will be entered into between
Cowessess and Sakimay and the Province of Saskatchewan. The agreement will see
the establishment of a water management board (with First Nation and provincial
representatives) to develop water quality and quantity guidelines.
“The SaskWater Agreement…is going to give us the
ability to work with the government in order to try to clean up these lakes,”
said the Chief.
Lerat said the lake’s condition and contaminants
produced by farmers’ fertilizers has been an ongoing issue of concern for the
band. He says the water agreement will provide the First Nations the ability to
engage in improving the environmental sustainability and address other related
issues involving Crooked Lake and the surrounding area.
“I think it’s great to finally get this
resolved. Once this is ratified by our members there’s going to be an
environmental benchmark put in place, and we’re going to be working on a
strategy to work to clean up the lake as years go on.”
Information sessions are scheduled for the
upcoming weeks, throughout Alberta and Saskatchewan.
For the ratification vote to pass 50 per cent
plus one must vote in favour of the agreement. If the settlement agreement and
related documents are approved, compensations will be paid into a Capital Trust
Account and a portion will be used to invest in community development,
programming and quality of life for band members.
“We have certain parameters on the trust that
Chief and Council need to be prepared to have a business plan available so
they’re more accountable for the monies that are going to be
expended.”
Cowessess First Nation band members will
participate in the Flood Claim Ratification Vote on March 10.
For more information visit cowessessfn.com or
call Denise Pelletier at (306) 696-3121.
sunn...@sasktel.net