--- On Fri, 3/2/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: Fw: [Naipc-list] Editorial in Indian Country Today
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

FYI

From: C WHITE FACE
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:31 PM
To: naipc-l...@lists.nativeweb.org

Subject: [Naipc-list] Editorial in Indian Country
Today

Individual Rights Only, for Indigenous
Peoples at the UN

By Charmaine White Face, Zumila Wobaga, Spokesperson
Sioux Nation Treaty Council
Since 1984, the Sioux Nation Treaty Council has
been sending delegates to the various committees of the United Nations seeking
the upholding of lawful and viable treaties made between the Great Sioux Nation
and the United States. Meeting after meeting were attended such as the Working
Group on Indigenous Populations, the Commission on Human Rights, and the
Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

As separate committees were created to
specifically deal with Indigenous problems, the delegates again attended
meetings of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, the Expert Mechanism on
the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and the Working Group on the Draft
Declaration
on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, only to leave time and time again totally
frustrated with the focus on individual human rights and not the rights of
nations. How many other delegates from Indigenous nations throughout the world
also left such meetings in total frustration?

What better way to divide and conquer when one
straw can be so easily broken, while a fistful of straws is so much harder to
break. Not only is this a divide and conquer tactic, but it is also a fast
track
on the assimilation road. Many Indigenous nations in North America are some of
the smallest nations in the world. The fast track to total assimilation into
the
American or Canadian culture means certain genocide for those
nations.

In Nation-States such a Guatemala where more than
51% of the total population is Indigenous, then individual human rights make
sense. But for small nations such as the Great Sioux Nation located in the
center of North America, individual human rights, under the auspices of the
United States, means certain genocide. Last summer, when the Chairperson of the
Human Rights Council stated that the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
Peoples is only enforceable under domestic law then we are right back where we
started nearly 38 years ago. The domestic law for us is American federal law.

We attended the years of debates on the
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and were very saddened when the
Draft Declaration that was approved by Indigenous Peoples was cast aside. This
new Declaration that has been praised by many is not the one the majority of
Indigenous people approved.

Upcoming is the North American Indigenous Peoples
Caucus in mid-March which will be giving their input into the Permanent Forum
on
Indigenous Peoples meeting in May. It is not a meeting of Indigenous nations
from North America, but includes organizations, committees, individuals, who
are
blindly being led to guarantee the success of these divide and conquer tactics
by the United Nations to focus only on individual human rights.

One of the ancient ways of our nation was that the
needs of the whole outweigh the needs of the few or the one. The needs of the
Great Sioux Nation outweigh the needs of a band, or a family, or an individual.

The human right of independence and freedom for
our nation was the reason we started going to the United Nations in the first
place. We are a nation, not an organization, an association, or a people. Our
place as a nation in the family of nations needs to be recognized before our
genocide is complete. What kind of a force would each of us wield if we all
focused only on the human right of independence and freedom for our
nations?

As the world is slowly learning, there is no such
thing as “sustainable development”, only the way that Indigenous nations lived
in their respective geographic environments for thousands of years can human
beings live without harming Mother Earth. The same is true with human rights.
Our individual nations took care of their own human rights. Why was it so
suprising to the first explorers who contacted Indigenous nations to find out
that there were no orphans, or domestic violence, or shunning of the elders?
Because the Indigenous nations, in existence for thousands of years, already
knew about ‘human rights.’

It’s time that we refocus the message being given
to the United Nations and continue to advocate for the rights of our nations to
be independent and free, not for individual human rights. We will take care of
our own individual human rights as our ancestors did according to a much wiser
and civilized way of living.
###

Feb. 23, 2012