--- On Thu, 3/22/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: Fw: [TRA] 'I saw I couldn't do my job,' says lawyer who quit missing
women inquiry
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

FYI

From: Don
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:03 AM
To: TRA Listerve ; NatNews North
Subject: [TRA] 'I saw I couldn't do my job,' says lawyer who quit
missing women inquiry

‘I saw I couldn’t do my job,’ says lawyer who quit missing
women inquiry
By JUDITH LAVOIE,
timescolonist.com
March 21, 2012
11:18 PM
http://www.timescolonist.com/couldn+says+lawyer+quit+missing+women+inquiry/6339857/story.html

Robyn Gervais, left, and Laura Track at
Wednesday's panel discussion at the University of Victoria.
Photograph by: ADRIAN LAM,
timescolonist.com

Quitting was better than giving credibility to a flawed process by continuing
to struggle to represent aboriginal interests at the Missing Women Commission
of
Inquiry, lawyer Robyn Gervais said Wednesday.
Gervais withdrew on
March 6, saying there was a disproportionate focus on police evidence and
aboriginal interests were not being met.
“Initially, I thought it was better to have some aboriginal voices at the
table,” said Gervais, who took part in a panel discussion at the University of
Victoria Wednesday.
“But, as the process unfolded, with most of the evidence coming from police
officers and little from the aboriginal community, I saw I couldn’t do my job
and staying would lend credibility to the process,” she said in an
interview.
Gervais was appointed in August to represent aboriginal interests after all
First Nations groups withdrew from the inquiry when the provincial government
refused to pay for legal funding. The government paid only for two lawyers to
represent the families of Pickton’s victims.
Gervais’s departure was followed by the withdrawal of the First Nations
Summit. Most First Nations organizations boycotted the inquiry last year after
the provincial government refused to provide individual groups with legal
funding.
On Wednesday, Commissioner Wally Oppal named Gervais’s replacements,
appointing lawyers Suzette Narbonne and Elizabeth Hunt as independent
co-counsel
to represent aboriginal issues at the probe examining police failures in the
investigation that led to the capture of serial killer Robert Pickton.
Narbonne has more than 20 years’ experience as a lawyer, while Hunt, a member
of the Kwakiutl Nation, is expected to bring the aboriginal perspective to the
inquiry.
The inquiry into the Pickton case is looking at why it took police so long to
catch the serial killer, most of whose victims were poor, aboriginal woman
living in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side.
But the voices of the community are missing, said Gervais and fellow panel
members Laura Track, legal director for West Coast Women’s Legal Education and
Action Fund, and Jen Allan, a former sex-trade worker who now runs Jen’s
Kitchen, a counselling, food and advocacy organization in the Downtown East
Side.
The inquiry should be looking at systemic racism, said Gervais, who is
Métis.
But the terms of reference are an impossible hurdle, she said.
Oppal has said he is committed to hearing the stories of how First Nations
women were treated by the RCMP and Vancouver police during the Pickton
investigation, but that historic injustices do not fit within the framework.
The lack of buy-in from the community means the inquiry will have little
impact, said Gervais, who hopes that, when the Oppal report is submitted at the
end of June, it will be followed by a national inquiry.
“This process, without an equal voice between the police and community, will
not work,” she said.
Complaints have also been made to international committees under the umbrella
of the United Nations.
Some evidence heard from police is valuable as it underlines the failings of
the investigation, said Gervais, who believes there will be useful
recommendations on improving policing.
“But they haven’t heard the other side of the story from the community,” she
said.
The inquiry is set to resume on April 2.
jlav...@timescolonist.com
— with a file from Postmedia News

Questions
about the titleandrightsalliance list?  Contact d...@ubcic.bc.ca