> http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/article/1321722--niagara-s-time-to-shine
>
> Niagara's time to shine - CULTURAL CAPITAL CELEBRATIONS A CHANCE FOR REGION
> TO BLOW ITS HORN
>

> Mike Zettel, staff|Mar 22, 2012 - 8:18 AM|  0 |Report a Typo or Correction
> Niagara’s time to shine
>
> Cultural capital celebrations offer region opportunity to blow its horn
>
> 1234
> Whether it’s through the opening ceremonies for the War of 1812 Bicentennial,
> a series of diverse art projects or even
> a scripted traditional lacrosse-style game, 2012 will be Niagara’s time to
> shine.
>
> On Wednesday, dignitaries and the leaders of more than two dozen cultural
> projects gathered in the regional headquarters
> atrium to officially launch the Cultural Capital of Canada 2012 program.
> Demonstrating just how full the calendar will
> be this year, Niagara Region Culture Committee co-chairs Joe Henriques and
> Doug Joyner read out the list of projects,
> taking nearly five minutes to do so.
>
> As expected, events commemorating the War of 1812 make up a large portion of
> the programming, something Justice Minister
> and Niagara Falls MP Rob Nicholson said was fitting.
>
> “That in and of itself is one of the most important dates in Canadian
> history,” he said.
>
> Nicholson added it’s appropriate that the national spotlight shine on
> Niagara, as the region played a pivotal role in
> the war.
>
> “Who has contributed more for a longer period of time than the people of this
> area?” he said.
>
> Brian Merrett, former regional chairman and CEO of the Niagara 1812
> Bicentennial Legacy Council, said the opening
> ceremonies for the bicentennial, which will be held in Queenston, will be one
> of the showcase events of the year, one
> which will have national and international exposure.
>
> He said the focus on the region is a chance to show the world what Niagara
> has to offer.
>
> “It gives us an opportunity to really blow our horn and really tell the story
> of all the great things in Niagara,”
> he said.
>
> Another big focus is Niagara’s aboriginal history, including but not limited
> to native people’s contribution to the
> war. There are four aboriginal-themed events: a women’s history exhibit, a
> commemorative book linking current women
> with their ancestors, a scripted lacrosse-style match and a wampum run, which
> will see a group of historically outfitted
> Six Nations youth and War of 1812 militia relay a ‘Great Lake’ style lacrosse
> stick with a wampum belt attached. It
> will be carried over three days over two routes, starting at Six Nations
> Reserve near Brantford and Fort Erie, and
> ending at Queenston Heights.
>
> Project lead Delmar Jacobs said the run commemorates the commitment Native
> allies made to fight on the British side and
> [...]

------------------------------------

Interesting websites or pages.

www.kahonwes.com Best Mohawk Site on the web
www.frostys.qc.ca Website of Computer Products
www.kcnativecommunity.org
www.globeandmail.com
www.mohawkflute.com
www.canadianaboriginal.com  Ecellent Site
www.tuscaroras.com
www.tekanews.com
http://nativenewsonline.org/
www.indigenations.com/index.shtml
www.indiancountry.com
http://dreamkeepers.net
www.transformcolumbusday.org
www.owlstar.com
www.nanews.org
www.redwiremag.com
www.treatycouncil.org
www.destination.ca/~curybuck ( French Language )
www.ubcic.bc.ca
www.nativeheritage.net
www.un.org/News/
www.bloorstreet.com/200block/rsparrow.htm
www.bloorstreet.com/200block/rguerin.htm
www.indigenousmedia.org
www.nativegiftbaskets.com/

Material for read-only purposes and may not be further distributed,
published or broadcast without prior written permission of the owner.
Please use links as much as possible and subscribe to them to get complete
details.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional