Hi Kevin,

Yes, they will give you a no-extra-cost Windows-based program
to create custom rules.  We've got one, but I haven't
used it yet.  I'm still brushing up on my Regex...

Regards,
Lew

Kevin Pawloski wrote:
Does the Tipping Point appliance allow you to create custom rules now? The last time I tried the appliance (which was over a year ago) that 'feature' was not yet available.

Kevin

On 9/28/05, *Paul Schmehl* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    --On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 15:54:41 +0700 Fajar Edisya Putera
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

     > Dear Experts,
     >
     > Our company plan to install IDS to protect our resources, I'm
    already
     > read about snort as NIDS, but, that's software based. I'm interesting
     > with hardware based that will work transparently with our Cisco
    PIX, no
     > need to make changes in our firewall. What's your suggestion.

    I can highly recommend Tippingpoint.  It's a close to a set and
    forget IPS
    as I've seen, and it's capable of handling large bandwidth requirements
    without bogging down (assuming you've bought the right appliance for
    your
    bandwidth requirements.)

    Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/