This is a bit old (2007) but it shows this kind of bug perfectly well.
http://securitytracker.com/id/1018588

So I can imagine one scenario in which DLL hijacking would make sense - if
the developers neglected to properly set the directory permissions and it
got reported as a vuln, the patch *could* have been to properly set the
permissions on *files* and forget to set them on the directory.

It'd be an extremely stupid way to patch. Then again, it's an extremely
stupid bug to begin with, so... :)

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Thor (Hammer of God)
<t...@hammerofgod.com>wrote:

>  You'd have to be admin to install as a service, and the service would
> obviously need to then be running as local system to be of benefit (beyond
> what a normal user could do anyway) AND the installer would have to grant a
> normal user rights to overwrite it.
>
>  Certainly possible, but the developer would have to go out of their way
> to screw that up. And if they did, it still wouldn't be because of the OS...

> On Sep 25, 2011, at 6:18 PM, "Travis Biehn" <tbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   GloW: there's a lot of 3rd party software that installs itself as
> windows services.
>
>  -Travis
>
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM, GloW - XD < <doo...@gmail.com>
> doo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Haha , too good and too true thor !
>>

>> Maybe he can trick the user into installing on a FAT32 partition first,
>> and THEN get the to execute from a remote share!
>>
>>  Rofl x10.
>>
>> Agreed , this kind of attack, is NOT deasible in 2011, try maybe, 2006.
>>
>> Anyhow it has been a pleasure, ending this BS i think once and for all,
>> lookup how winlogon works for one thing, then look at how windows creates
>> and maintains a service_table, and then at the dlls, wich are protected ofc,
>> you cannot touch msgina.dll,without ALOT of help from a rootkit or something
>> similar, in wich case, why would you need to ?
>> You could add an admin, hidden, and in simple batfile script (yes i do
>> have my own code but no it is not for kids..), this is 10seconds and hidden,
>> so when you have gotten that far, why would you bother to hijack a dll ?
>>
>> You CANNOT do crap,without complete ADMIN not SYSTEm, ADMIN$ share, and
>> total axcs to all sockets, meaning, all pipe control and thats where half of
>> windows exchanges smb shares for one thing, you guys dont seem to know CRAP
>> about windows to start with, then have the gall to raise such a frigging
>> ridiculous topic about a non happening, YOUTUBE ONE 'real' event, of this
>> being useful, or, even just working, and i would look but, you wont, cannot,
>> and will never be able to, especially on newer systems of windows7-8.
>> As i said earlier, enjoy your bs DFLL hijacking, but ms, dont care for it,
>> and whatever patches they instilled, dont touch even service_table.. so,
>> they have not given it a high prio,and why shuld they.
>>
>> This is simply a case of a secteam gaining notoriety, to try and make this
>> a 'big bug!!' , to try and gain brownie points from MS. Even tho, i dont
>> believe in many things MS, I know windows system, and how to break it,
>> better than many people, and i can tell you now, this whole DLL hijack, is a
>> complete and utter waste of your times.
>> But... keep on going, maybe MS will send you another 'thankyou' email ;)
>> xd / <http://crazycoders.com>crazycoders.com / #haxnet@Ef
>>

>> On 26 September 2011 10:52, Thor (Hammer of God) < <t...@hammerofgod.com>
>> t...@hammerofgod.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Maybe he can trick the user into installing on a FAT32 partition first,
> [...]

“There's a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy
of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military
becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.”