[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Please do not forget that the "experts" are not nearly as troubled by
> > this because the problem was largly mitigated by following best
> > practices. I suspect you too could be spending this time
> > appropriately
> > handling the problem cases and systems that required the
> > functionality
> > with a lot less worry and headache.
>
> Isn't it interesting that
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS
> 03-026.asp says that you can install this on either SP3 or SP4. So can Jason
> please explain what best practices he refers to?

I'm sure he was referring to standard computer security best practices
-- you know, things like ensuring least privilege, disabling unused
accounts created by a default install, having strong password policy
enforcement, uninstalling/disabling/etc unused services, firewalling
all but the truly necessary ports, etc, etc, etc.

What in that can you see that would _not_ have "largely mitigated" the
threat potential of this vuln?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.