On Saturday 20 September 2003 4:31 pm, Philippe Biondi wrote:

> What is the added security value of this ??
> Sounds more like "security through complexity" to me.
> An IP flow does not have the properties that make FHSS have and added
> value to communications over radio frequencies.

I agree with you. Even using differnet keys for the various chunks wouldn't
help much from a cryptographer's point of view.
An interesting variation, though, may be to send the information through
different routes altogether.

For example I could encrypt a file, encode it so as to leave out a small but
significant portion, send the large part to you through my main connection,
then connect directly to a modem of yours and send the other part.
It would be hard for an attacker to monitor two defferent media and a file
that is not only encrypted, but incoherent, would be really hard to decode.

This technique isn't new, but I've never seen it implemented in open source
tools.

--
Saluti,
   Massimiliano Hofer