On Wed, 26 May 2004, Mister Coffee wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:46:45PM -0500, Ron DuFresne wrote:
> >
> >     [BIGGER SNIPPAGE]
> >
> > I'm trying to understand how obtaining and using stolen code, for any
> > reason, is different then acquiring stolen property in any other context.
> > If you know the property was obtained illegally, that would make you an
> > acessory after the fact, would it not?
> >
> I suppose that's ultimately something for the lawyers to decide.  But imagine it
> this way - in keeping with the hypothetical situation we're using in the example:
> Someone copies an article out of a magazine.  They then leave the photocopies out on
> a table at the local coffee house that's known for having magazines and books and
> such out for people to read.

But, for realities sake, let's avoid hypothetical's and deal with the
facts;

The code was stolen, it's been widely announced that it was obtained from
non-legal channels.  Now, back to my question;

how is this different from cquiring stolen property in any other context?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html