De : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] la part de
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoye : March 5, 2004 10:02 AM
A : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : Re: (Fundy Forum) Grey seal cull - opinions please

Hi Gareth,

Have you spoken with the lobster fishermen or the lobster buyers lately? The
focus of concern is not lobsters that are in a normal and healthy (if
somewhat
soft and vulnerable) growth stage. Lobsters are being found dead in the
traps
before they reach the surface. There are many weak, limp, animals that are
dying before they can be transported to shore or to market. They are so
"hard to
hold" that some lobster buyers are now going out of business because they
have purchased so much stock that has no market value. Canneries are swamped
with
the bulk of low value, weak lobster this season, and some fishermen have
resorted to burying their losses in landfills. Even lobsters with nice hard
shells
have been found to have unusually low meat content. This is more pronounced
at the biggest sizes. Industry biologists have been following this mounting
problem for a number of years now, and the only biological abnormality that
they
have found is "low protein." But, from DFO's lobster assessments that I have
seen, no mention has been made of the "condition" of the lobsters. Falling
physical condition, most acutely at the largest fish sizes, plus the early
loss of
peripheral population components, were trends that appeared prior to the
dramatic collapse of the Northern cod of Newfoundland. DFO is reluctant to
connect
the dots, it seems to me.

This evening in Yarmouth, the lobster fishing association is holding a
meeting (with scientists) to discuss the problem of the falling condition of
the
lobsters. I know many of these people personally and the worry they express
"rings true" to me. It is not a "fall fishery" that is finding weak lobsters
today,
it is a late-winter fishery.

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on the plankton-positive
aspects of the ecological role of seals and fish. Did that ring true at all?
Also,
are you able to share any insight into the reasons why DFO has refused to be
interviewed by CBC television on these issues?

cheers,
Debbie MacKenzie
http://www.fisherycrisis.com