> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:25:14 +0100 (BST)
> From: Drsolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Fergie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [funsec] Congressman Ed Markey Wants Security Researcher Arrested
> Cc: funsec@linuxbox.org
>
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Fergie wrote:
>
> > This is... priceless.
> >
> > Via 27B Stroke 6.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Congressman Edward Markey (D-Mass.) wants the federal government to
> > arrest security researcher Christopher Soghoian for creating the
> > Northwest Airline Boarding Pass Generator, a site which lets anyone
> > create a facsimile of a Northwest Airlines boarding pass. Soghoian
> > hoped to spur Congress to look closely at the nation's aviation
> > security policies, which he calls "security theater."
> >
> > Instead, Markey, a member of the House Homeland Security committee,
> > wants the site shut down and Soghoian arrested.
> >
> > "The Bush Administration must immediately act to investigate, apprehend
> > those responsible, shut down the website, and warn airlines and
> > aviation security officials to be on the look-out for fraudsters or
> > terrorists trying to use fake boarding passes in an attempt to cheat
> > their way through security and onto a plane," Markey said in a
> > statement. "There are enough loopholes at the backdoor of our passenger
> > airplanes from not scanning cargo for bombs;
>
> Oh? I didnt know that. Wouldn't it be a good idea to start doing that?
>
> By the way, was it wise of the House Homeland Security committee to reveal
> this information?

Of *COURSE* it was wise to reveal this info!  They need to be seen
DOING *SOMETHING*.  I mean, it *IS* Theatre, is it not?

(Theatre being defined as "the willing suspension of disbelief")

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin