On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:25:38 EDT, Larry Seltzer said:
> >> Yes, the fact that Fedora isn't RHEL.
>
> OK, thanks, I see that. Let me get something straight here:
>
> >>... the intruder was able to sign a small number of OpenSSH packages
> relating only to Red Hat Enterprise Linux...
>
> So the suspicion is that the intruder inserted malicious code (or maybe
> the Debian random number generator?) into the packages and signed them?

I have no news as to what was in the backdoored packages.

> Is anyone else as appalled by this as I am? Has there been such a
> compromise of a major OS before?

I guess you missed when the machine windowsupdate.microsoft.com got pwned
by CodeRed a few years ago.. ;)

You also probably missed when the openssh and sendmail servers got hacked
a few years ago, both had trojan'ed tarballs dropped in that would do an
"ET Phone home" when the sysadmin built the kit (*not* when it ran).  In
neither case did the attacker manage to PGP-sign the tarballs, but few people
checked.

One could also argue that *way* back when Karger&Schell did their pen-test
analysis of Multics, that Multics was a major OS at the time...

In other words: "This kind of shit happens all the time". ;)

> I also have to say that this is the first I've heard that RH and/or
> Fedora sign their distribution packages. Is this common among Linux
> distros?

I don't know about Debian, but Ubuntu apparently does:

% gpg --list-keys --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
pub   1024D/437D05B5 2004-09-12
uid                  Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
sub   2048g/79164387 2004-09-12

pub   1024D/FBB75451 2004-12-30
uid                  Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>