On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 05:21, <valdis.kletni...@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:42:48 +1300, Nick FitzGerald said:
>
> > Yeah, but if she has to actually _exchange_ documents with with others
> > who don't run the same similarly broken version of OOO as she does (and
> > let's just ignore the embarrasing proportion of OOO documents that
> > won't correctly re-open after you save and close them), or worse, with
> > lecturers/tutors/etc who will almost surely be using the "real" MS
> > version and may be rather intolerant of marking her assignments if they
> > don't open properly...
>
> Hmm... you've never worked in an enterprise where half the people have
> upgraded to the new release of Word, and the other half haven't installed
> the plugin that lets their old Word not vomit when they get documents from
> the new Word.

My simple solution to people who need wp/sheet/draw etc no matter what
platform they are on is to use google docs instead of an office package you
need to purchase from uSoft.. I believe they just upgraded the docs part to
be able to import .docx office 2007 files. If you need to share with someone
who does not have a gmail account, download the file as a msword .doc file
and mail it.

You can edit your files no matter what pc you happen to be on. OO is great,
but can take forever converting spreadsheets. Filesize on uploads is an
issue with some work files I get, but hey, it makes all my friends and
Family happy to have things so easy and free [ok, nothing is _really_ free
on gmail ;-]...

--steve
steve pirk
refiamerica.org
"father... the sleeper has awakened..." paul atreides - dune
kexp.org member august '09