Hi Dan,

> but really, for the threat you discuss we already live in
> that future.
Agreed. But now, the US government (or another government controlling
a DNS operator) must approach each DNS operator with their [secret]
request. Under this scheme, the distributed, fault tolerant nature of
DNS will be nullified. That is, a government only needs to poison the
database of one cooperating operator, and other cooperating dns
operators will dutifully incorporate the changes. To make matters
worse, the poisoning will cross national/political boundaries -
something governments don't fully enjoy under the current system.

I would bet the proponents of the 'Internet Kill Switch'' are
salivating like Pavlov's dog - I still remember the NSAKEY incident...

Jeff