On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dan Kaminsky <d...@doxpara.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Dan Kaminsky <d...@doxpara.com> wrote:
>> > Did anyone actually read the ruling?
>> > They're basically saying a SSN# isn't an identity.
>> >
>> > Given that SSN#'s aren't actually unique in the population, they're, you
>> > know, right.
>> Expand, please.
>>

> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/social_security.html
>
> Information about an individual's place and date of birth can be
> exploited to predict his or her Social Security number (SSN). Using
> only publicly available information, we observed a correlation between
> individuals' SSNs and their birth data and found that for younger
> cohorts the correlation allows statistical inference of private SSNs.
> The inferences are made possible by the public availability of the
> Social Security Administration's Death Master File and the widespread
> accessibility of personal information from multiple sources, such as
> data brokers or profiles on social networking sites. Our results
> highlight the unexpected privacy consequences of the complex
> interactions among multiple data sources in modern information
> economies and quantify privacy risks associated with information
> revelation in public forums.
> ===
> This is, of course, a direct consequence of (from
> Wikipedia/SocialSecurity.gov):
>

> The Social Security number is a nine-digit number in the format
> "AAA-GG-SSSS". The number is divided into three parts.
>
> The Area Number, the first three digits, is assigned by the
> geographical region. Prior to 1973, cards were issued in local Social
> Security offices around the country and the Area Number represented
> the office code in which the card was issued. This did not necessarily
> have to be in the area where the applicant lived, since a person could
> apply for their card in any Social Security office. Since 1973, when
> SSA began assigning SSNs and issuing cards centrally from Baltimore,
> the area number assigned has been based on theZIP code in the mailing
> address provided on the application for the original Social Security
> card. The applicant's mailing address does not have to be the same as
> their place of residence. Thus, the Area Number does not necessarily
> represent the State of residence of the applicant, neither prior to
> 1973, nor since.
>
> Generally, numbers were assigned beginning in the northeast and moving
> south and westward, so that people on the east coast had the lowest
> numbers and those on the west coast had the highest numbers. As the
> areas assigned to a locality are exhausted, new areas from the pool
> are assigned, so some states have noncontiguous groups of numbers.
>
> Complete list of area number groups from the Social Security Administration
>
> The middle two digits are the group number. The group numbers range
> [...]

Actually, technically, the above doesn't *necessarily* make SSNs
non-unique.  It just means that they're not randomly assigned.  They
could still be uniquely assigned within a non-random space.  So that's
a fairly significant assumption on my part, especially with some
evidence of being willing to use non-contiguous assignment to deal
with exhausting of numbers.