Chris Boyd to Michael Blanchard:

> > I'm sorry, but that is AWESOME!  Think about all the diseases that
> > a microchip can cure... Parkinson's, epilepsy, Alzhiemers, etc
> > etc....
> >
> > And OMFG!
> > "One philosophical question could arise once we'll be able to
> > download a person's whole brain onto a chip and then implant the
> > chip into someone else's body."
> >
> > Wouldn't it be cool to back up your brain?  Sort through the
> > memories and go through them....   oh, think about cerebral-hackers
> > or cerebral-hijackers! Change someone's memories to whatever they
> > want....  Full on "total recall" baby!  "why actually go on vacation
> > when you can simply remember going for a fraction of the cost!"
>
> You mean like in Johnny Mnemonic?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mnemonic

I think he said:

   "total recall"

(with the quotes, note!) for a reason:

   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100802/

   When a man goes for virtual vacation memories of the planet Mars, an
   unexpected and harrowing series of events forces him to go to the
   planet for real, or does he?

> Skip the movie and find a collection of Gibson's early works with
> the story in it.

Good advice, I'm sure.

In the case of Total Recall it's Philip K. Dick, in general, and his
short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" in particular.  This
pre-dated the Gibson story by some 15 years.  The 1990 Total Recall
featured Arnie in the main role but a remake with a different setting
for the background conflict is now in production with Colin Farrell in
the Quaid/Hauser role.

Final Cut, The Sixth Day, and perhaps most disturbingly, Strange Days
touch on (or thoroughly embrace) related themes, though that is far
from a complete listing of SF movies that do.

Trivia -- in The Matrix, Keanu's character (amongst other things) is
into _supplying_ fake memories on the black market ("follow the white
rabbit") in a kinda reversal of his role in Johnny Mnemonic...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald