On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Robert Slade <rmsl...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/23463/use-of-google-docs-is-illegal-in-norway/
>
> This is of particular interest to me right at this moment, because I'm in a
> meeting, and one of our exec has mentioned our files directory.  Our site is
> hosted by Google, and our files are, of course, on Google Docs.  (
> www.ismsug.org , in case anyone is interested.)
>
> However, I've got to say that the only thing that surprises me about
> "Inspectorate states that the EU-US Safe Harbor agreement does not adequately
> guarantee data protection in the face of the US Patriot Act. The Patriot Act
> gives the US government the right and ability to demand personal data on any
> person anywhere in the world if that data is held anywhere in the world by a
> US company - such as Google" is that it has taken so long for someone to
> object.  My home province passed legislation a few years back stating that no
> American company, or company that stores data in the US, can bid on medical
> info systems.  For exactly this reason.

The PATRIOT Act is gestapo legislation - its a subversion of the
principals the country was founded upon. The US Supreme Court has
repeatedly struck down its provisions as unconstitutional, including
the illegal detention of suspects.

Only a handful of US politicans had the political courage to vote
against it (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml). The
politicians who supported it (including members of the administration
who drafted and supported it) should be shipped off to Guantanamo Bay,
Cuba and held indefinitely. They are a bigger threat to the democracy
and the country than any pissed-off Jihadist living in a cave and
angry about social injustice.

Jeff