Our local (Ottawa Canada) Community Inquiry on Work sent
a letter of reply to some of those who had responded to
the Inquiry's Final Report. This is an excerpt from that
letter:

"Our society's present working practices are the result of
accumulated inventions over a long period of time. They can
and will be changed by further and accumulating inventions.
It is important that these further inventions take us closer
to the world in which we want to live and not, through
inadvertent incrementalism, take us in other directions.

Only by getting the whole question of work on the public
agenda, and not merely some of its component parts, can we
ensure that our work produces the world we want to work
toward and not an unintended world. It is time for work,
including unpaid work, to be appreciated in its entirety as
engaging massive amounts of our time and energies and to be
addressed as an extremely important element in all our lives,
individually and together. People becoming more conscious of
and talking about their community's work and the world's
work, about how it gets done, by whom and where and when,
and about how they feel about their own work, will constitute,
in our view, a step in the right direction."

--
Gail Stewart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

relay2.sparklist.com (spirit-relay1.sparklist.com [207.250.144.40])
        by jab.org (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id AAA01735
        for <archive@jab.org>; Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:53:07 -0500