Re. comments by Ed Wieck (UN is mainly useless) and Caspar Davis (world
would be worse without UN; problems mainly arise from U.S. bullying):

1.  The usefulness or uselessness of international institutions has to
be judged in historical perspective.  In the 1890's and even later,
gunboat diplomacy could be freely engaged in for any and every reason --
e.g. a citizen (or someone who on fairly tenuous grounds claimed to be a
citizen) was kidnapped in a foreign country (U.S. threats, backed by
force, vs. Morocco under "Teddy" Roosevelt; earlier actions by Britain,
under Palmerston, in the mid-19th century versus Greece or Turkey, I
forget which); because a nation had defaulted on a debt -- British sent
gunboats to various countries; boundary problems -- e.g. Venezuela, with
Britain exercising the muscle, and the U.S. intervening, in the name of
the "Monroe Doctrine," and arranging for the parties ot settle the
dispute by arbitration; sheer economic interests -- e.g. US
interventions and landings of Marines in Central America (see, on this,
which is of course well known, the disilllusioned memoirs of Marine
General Smedley Butler, written in the 1930's, which said that he had
believed, throughout his career, in the Marine motto "semper fidelis" as
representing hoonorable service to his country, but concluded, after he
commanded intervention forces in Nicaragua, that he and those he
commanded had become the equivalent of Al Capone's machine gunning goons
in enforcing Capone's grip on his cashflow in prohibition-era Chicago).
And so on, ad infinitum.  The point is that we have made SOME progress
(perhaps very little) since then: then, it was intervention and bullying
without anyone's leave (unless one ran into a conflicting interest of a
power with the same, or greater, muscle); now, it seems well
established, at least for the U.S. and a few other countries, that they
have to be able to claim some sort of U.N. sanction, and go through a
debating process and a proces in which other parties, including the U.N.
Secretary General, which sometimes limits their possibility of acting.

2.  On this same point, as long as we have a system based on nation
states (which seems to be what will prevail, politically, for the
foreseeable future) we are going to have a system in which power
politics is a pervasive reality.  Saddam Hussein is a bully, and worries
me, just as the U.S. is sometimes a bully, and also worries me (and I
can name a whole bunch of other states whose leadership, sometimes or
almost always, acts in a bullying fashion).  In this kind of sysem, I
prefer having a UN and other international mechanisms and groups of
countries organized in some ways (e.g., sometimes the need to bring
together its NATO allies in a concerted effort has led to the U.S.
having to moderte its position to get some of the other countries on
board) in existence, to buffer the clash of power against power, than
take my chances in a world without this buffering -- as ineffective as
this may sometimes be, or seem to be.

3.   Politically, the UN is a place where people talk.  Sometimes it
seems that they talk and nobody listens.  But, a relatively short time
ago (25, or at most, 50 years ago) most of the world didn't have a place
where their voices could be raised, in an international forum; most of
the world wasn't even listened to, or thought to have a right to be
listened to (often, even in polite circles, this was justified by overt
or implicit racism).  I believe that one of the greatest achievements
iin international relations in my lifetime has been this shift.  I often
do not like what I hear; I often think that what I hear should be
matched by action.  But I am glad that these voices now are heard and
have status to be heard, and forums within which they can be heard as a
matter of right, not as a matter of indulgence.  When I think about
this, I realize that, perhaps, we are gradually creeping forward out of
the primeval ooze and beginnning to approach civililzation.

4.   Not everything that the UN does occurs in the realm of big
political issues and confrontations.  Technical assistance, work with
refugees, and a host of other practical activities day-by-day -- work in
the trenches of humanities struggle -- occur, multilaterally, through
the UN's varied "functional programs."  There are others on this list
who are, or have been, more closely tied to these activities than me;
they can deal with these matters, if they choose.

5.   In the long run, re. both the political and the other questions,
more effective international government will probably move in the
direction of more direct power and authority for the UN or its successor
organizations.  Whether this will take some decades (say, 50 years) or a
few centuries, no one can tell.  Whether we will in fact make it till
then, without a major disaaster of some sort, either in the area of war
and peace, or through natural processes or a reaction of natural
processes to social-economic overload, one also cannot tell (i.e., in
terms of specific time periods, rather than overall trends -- the
prospect is admittedlly a troubling one).  But, if, somehow we get
through various stages of problems, and if -- either as part of a
continuing trend, or as a result of a catastrophe which is survived, at
great cost, but which finally serves as a "wake-up call" for humankiind,
wwe do get to some form of effective world government -- with the
apparatus needed to pollice the peace of the world, deal with economic
problems, etc., we will still have problems to deal with.  To centralize
that much power and authority to deal with the world as a whole will
require measures of democratic control and balance.  We will not want to
move from a world of many small bulllies to a world of ONE BIG BULLY.
We will want to deal with issues of decentraliztion (and are beginning
to have to deal with these today, as globalization is proceeding at a
rapid pace) and democratic controls at every level of the system, and in
every aspects of its life.  And we will be puzzled, confused, and
arguentative over which path best to take, then as now.

Sufficient unto the day are the problems thereof.  Let us deal, as best
we can, with the problems that confront us now.  Let us try not to do
things that close off options to those who come after us.  And let us
hope that, when they face these problems (of international government,
or whatever) we will have passed on some wisdom to them, and examples
that will encourage them, so that they can take on the burden and build
something better than we.  Meanwhile, let's not give up on the United
Nations, no matter our disappointments are.  In balance, for all its
shortcomings, it represents one aspect of the best hopes we have for the
future.

Saul Silverman