I wanted to point out the article in yesterday's Globe and Mail about
the
drop in labor participation rates "Low Unemployment has Hidden Causes",
which shows Statistics Canada figures that the labor participation rate
has
dropped from 67.9% in l990 to 65% in October 1998, most of this drop
being attributed to those 15-24 years of age.  I wonder how this
compares
internationally particularly in the U.S and Britain, and also if this is
being
given any media coverage anywhere.  Generally the media seem to give
the indication that the unemployment problem has been solved.  The
implications
are serious but the media nor political debate seems to be seriously
addressing
this.

Melanie Milanich
Toronto