Victor,
I wanted to respond to your message. I think that there is a much broader
movement underway that just that a machine eliminates a job.  Technology
has also eliminated the concept of permanent, full-time employment with
full benefits, security and the expectation of raises, increased standard of
living.  We now function with a "just in time"  mentality of contract work,
temporary, part-time, no benefits, no security.  And this has been extended
to areas of work that are not technological , nursing now has record numbers
of contract, "just in time"  positions, as well as warehouse shipping or
inventories, etc.   Also unions are being busted all over when there are
no longer employees, but "contract" self-employed people.
Technology has not just eliminated "jobs" but has globalized the work force,
outsourcing whole branches, departments, processes.  The last GM strike was
partly over this outsourcing.  Technology has made it easier to move many of
our jobs to Mexico, the US south,  India,  Indonesia.  While technically it
created "jobs" there in the new found capital market, it really replaced more
subsistence, non-market work.
Technology also has created the impression that we don't need to relate
to humans, we can press buttons and listen to recorded speech and that
we don't need to be served but can serve ourselves.
The full range of implications hitting us at amplified speed are enormous.

begin:          vcard
fn:             Melanie Milanich
n:              ;Melanie Milanich
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]