At 5:54 PM -1000 11/21/98, Jay Hanson wrote:

>Those who beleive "nature's way" is the prefered future, do not understand
>"nature's way".  THis is nature's way:
>
>---------------------------
>
>IN THE LANGUAGE OF ECOLOGY -- a language which it behooves us all
>to learnóthe conditions of an imperiled environment are described
>in a few short and pungent words: 'drawdown,' 'overshoot,'
>'crash,' and 'die-off.'

I would suggest that this is not natures's way but rather the result of
trying to impose homocentric "economics," technology and greed on
nature. As I understand it, populations of species higher on the food
chain do tend to fluctuate with their food, especially when there are
unusually fat years.But this seldom reaches catastrophic proportions.
As to Ireland, the famine was due entirely to greed and politics. The
Irish were driven onto marginal land so that English landlords and
their friends cou;ld grow export crops. Ireland continued to
exportlarge quantities of food to England throughout the famine, but
the landlords preferred to see the Irish starve rather than reduce
their profits. Just as many poverty stricken countries continue to
allow and even  foreign "investors" to export their wealth today even
as the people languish.

Nevertheless I take Jay's point.It is hard to see how our species can
escape the Reckoning when we are so firmly in the grip of denial.

Caspar davis