>As the viability of the current paradigm faded, human survival became a
>topic of conversation - even more important than the President's sex life!
>Eventually a new recognition. Human population was recognized as one of the
>few controllable variable available to humans NOW. The aggregate lifetime
>consumption and pollution of a new individual human shifted from a personal
>issue to a community issue. Procreation license became regulated by the
>community to meet carrying capacity guidelines, so that the long term goal
>of "renewable resources only" could be met in several decades.

I do hate to sound cynical, but it is hard to hear the background music. It
is beautiful, melodic dream-like stuff with birds twittering through it. I
went bowling yesterday, for the first time in forty five years. The music I
heard there was quite different, much like the throb of a freeway during
rush hour. My score was very low, but that doesn't matter. What does is the
hundreds of people there all trying to outdo each other in knocking down
those pins. Those who weren't bowling were puffing away on cigarettes and
discussing the President's sex life or their own. Are these the people to
whom you are going to issue licences to procreate? Or are you assuming that
they will all die off and only the pure-in-mind-and-heart will remain? Well,
good luck!

Don't forget -- those bowlers have billions of equally vigorous brothers and
sisters living in the slums of Sao Paulo, Jakarta, Delhi, Moscow and Mexico
City. These people would love to bowl too, but they probably can't afford
it.

Ed Weick