Dear Mr. Blackmore:

Thanks for your interest.  In Canada we have traditionally had two political
parties, the Liberals and Conservatives with the Conservatives, from the
founding of Canada up until the second term of our last Prime Minister Brain
Mulroney, being against the concept of Free Trade with the US.  The argument
has always been that tariffs protect us from our big neighbour to the south.
Currently we have three additional parties, just for clarification.  Anyway,
the backlash against Mulroney in the last election devastated the
Conservative Party and they only had two seats in the next election, a
stinging rebuke.

The Liberals won the election with the promise to re-open the Free Trade
Agreement, which they have reneged on.  Anyway, back to the Conservatives.
They are now holding a leadership election for a new party leader.  The
previous leader saw fit to become a Liberal at the Provincial level in the
hopes of blocking Quebec from separating from Canada.  Wow, as I write this,
I realize how convoluted our political landscape is.  Well anyway, the
Conservatives being banished by the electorate to a marginal party revised
their Electoral Rules for electing a new party leader so that any member of
the Party can cast a vote, rather than just delegates who had been selected
from the local ridings.  This is quite a daring innovation as it allows the
public at large to pay a $10 membership fee to become a Party member and
therefore you can have a vote on who becomes the Party leader - quite
democratic actually.  Now, as it turns out, one of the most vocal and
effective individuals who tried to rally Canadians to reject Mulroney's Free
Trade Agreement has entered the Conservative's leadership race.  Talk about
the fox in the hen house.  At first the big wheel Conservatives were
laughing at David Orchard but in a David and Goliath type of scenario, David
is showing a remarkable ability to get people across Canada to fork over $10
for the privilege of voting for him to become the leader of the
Conservatives.

Unfortunately, not being a citizen of Canada, I would assume that you cannot
become a member of a Canadian Political Party, however, you have done yeoman
service by your question.  If David succeeds in becoming the Leader of the
Conservative Party, he will have a magnificent task ahead of him, the
re-orientation of this party to it's traditional roots.  In the process, he
will have the satisfaction of purging the last of the Mulroney hanger on's
and thus getting his ultimate revenge on those who defeated him when he was
fighting against Free Trade.  Even more important to Canada, in my humble
opinion, we will finally have a Canadian leader who is not a lawyer, or
insider or elite, who will have no trouble looking Uncle Sam in the eye and
saying, "Sorry, I don't think we'll do that!"  Canadians always being polite
except when we fight and then we just become stubborn and tenacious and
refuse to lose.

Now, of course, the media, being in the pocket of who ever will support
their monopoly on the news has kept this whole exciting development out of
sight by not printing anything of note about the upcoming election.  It is
going to be very interesting and in fact could turn out to be one of those
seminal political events that no one could foresee that will change the
direction of the country in significant ways.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde

PS:  Here is David Orchards URL www.davidorchard.com.