I think this must be the exception, in tribes
where the idea of surplus/private property
of the means of production such as land
and the separation of
of work did not occur. I don't remember any such
matriarchal structures mentioned in the inca
and other city-dwelling or nomadic ancient americans.

Westerners yearn so much for an idyll of back to
nature, that they tend to re-create some of the
"ancient" customs that were disrupted by their
very arrival...

Eva