I was responding to a friend on the West Coast who has been a bus driver
for BC Transit for the last 25 years and who E Mailed me about his car
troubles. (soon to be a thing of the past)  I started to answer and this
little tale rolled out of my humerous side.  I share it with you in the
spirit of fun.

Hi Greg,

Stay tuned for tuned for my next essay titled - "Welcome to the last car
you will ever own."  Perhaps when it is over, you will invest in a good ten
speed and get up an hour earlier to peddle to work.  As a senior bus
driver, they might even let you drive one of the few remaining diesels.
Actually, on reflection, I see a return to the slave galley except it will
be with buses.  When you get on, you are taken to a seat with pedals, the
bus driver (slave driver) will walk up and down the aisle, flogging the
passengers to petal harder while his assistant steers the bus.  If the bus
does not have a full complement of slaves, it may get stalled on slight
hills, in which case the bus driver will put in a call and homeowners who
live near the hill will have to rush out and jump in the bus to petal.
This will greatly lower the price of view property in the British
Properties.

Bus drivers will be chosen for their ability to inflict pain on passengers
through verbal abuse and harrasment.  Special training courses at BC
Transit will weed out the softies so that the system can function with
maximum efficiency.  Any passengers who are senior citizens will be given
special high gear ratio petals to compensate for their age.  The
handicapped will not be allowed to ride as there can be no dead weight on
the bus which would lower efficiency.  Drivers who manage to achieve high
speeds from their pedalers will receive achievement rewards.  Late night
runs will be eliminated due to lack of pedlars.  After fifty or so years,
Darwinian evolution will kick in and children will be born with
overdeveloped legs, which will become a sign of beauty, reflecting
increased survival capabilities.  With a corresponding decrease in head
size and and upper body weight, humans will truly sink closer to the
ground.  Lucien Bouchard and his descendants who come from voyager stock
will be the new patron saints and claiming direct lineage will guarantee
the lowest gear ratio seats to this worthy breed of people.

People who need hip replacements will be warehoused as unproductive.  Women
will become the dominant species having larger thighs and less upper body
weight.  Small breast size will be in along with narrow shoulders and short
hair.  If we invest now in pedal buses, already on the drawing boards of
GM, though classified as highly secret, we may become wealthy enough to
afford a surrogate pedlar to do our work.  Bicycles built for two will
become the sign of wealth with an overly developed pedlar conveying the
idle rich throughout the countryside.  Rickshaws will become a dominant
career option with courses being offered at our leading high tech
universities to develop three wheeled rickshaws to handle the parking
problem.  Mike Harris will be hailed as the Winston Churchill of the year
2000 for his pioneering work on developing "workfare" slaves to substitute
as a cost effective solution for the lack of petroleum.

Welcome to the future.