----- Original Message -----
From: Ray E. Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Since the Market as well as the study of Economics has such an effect on
>our lives in spite of our wishes, I am reminded of an earlier section in
>which Russell claims that an "individual facing the terror of cosmic
> loneliness" is forced to study and become an amateur philosopher:
>>"To understand an age or a nation, we must understand
>>its philosophy, and to understand its philosophy we must
>>ourselves be in some degree philosophers."

Excellent analysis Ray!  And Russell is right on target.  The choice is
between the certainty of a lie or the uncertainty of truth.  Only a
philosopher can thrive on worldview uncertainty.

Jay
 "When Leon the tyrant of Phlius asked Pythagoras who he was, he said,
   'A Philosopher,' and he compared life to the public festivals, where some
   went to compete for a prize and others went with things to sell, but the
   best as observers;  for similarly, in life, some grow up with servile
   natures, greedy for fame and gain, but philosophers seek the truth."
                                                  Diogenes Laertius