----- Original Message -----
From: Bob McDaniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> The Titanic (civilization) has just struck the ice --
>
>> I advocate selecting the best "qualified" person to organize a
>> survival and rescue effort as quickly as possible.
>
>But, in this scenario, would it really have made much difference? Or maybe
>that is the point!

[  This is my impression of the facts based on the movie -- I haven't
studied
the matter carefully.  ]

The reason there weren't enough lifeboats in the first place, is because
Titanic was thought to be "unsinkable".  Had the people been emotionally
and physically prepared for REALITY, then nearly everyone could have
been saved.

But even given the terrible situation of an unprepared collision in the ice,
many more could have been saved by quick thinking and strong leadership on
the part of the captain.

The captain appeared to emotionally unprepared for the collision -- walking
around in a daze  -- with the mates confused and operating on their own.

In situations like Titanic found herself, every seaman knows that the
killer is the cold water.  Had the captain moved quickly and forcefully to
build "rafts" out of an anything that would float -- ripped the planks off
the walls, used the furniture, made rafts of life jackets, etc. -- hundreds
of more lives could have been saved.   The key was to keep the people
out of the cold water until a rescue ship arrived.

The point of the whole story is that one CAN make a difference, but one must
first accept the REALITY of the situation.  People who CAN'T deal with
REALITY should just get out of the way because they are only increasing
the body count.

Jay