----------
Hi all,

Robert Neunteufel (below) is very right, of course. The problem is how
to satisfy Harry's needy population with limited resources.

1.  We clearly need to control our population, 'nuf said on that point.

2.  We need to have a better distribution of the earth's collective
    wealth.

Pure capitalism would allow unlimited concentration of resources. This
is not sustainable without massive brutalization.

Democracy, on the other hand, would give the power to redistribute
wealth more evenly.

What we have is a combination of the two that sort of works in some
places and fails in many others. Learning how to find the right mix
of the two in a way that encourages innovations without the extremes of
income distributions seems possible. The Mondragon experiment is an
example.

In my view, the wealthy use their wealth in the wrong ways. If they
they spent their resources buying jewelry, yachts and works of art,
things would work out fine.

Instead they buy politicians and votes. They also buy lawyers and
cpas to help them accumulate even more wealth. This is destructive
to the economic conditions of most of the less-than-wealthy.

I believe that we can change the laws so that rich people can be
consumers but not tyrants. We need:

1.  A steeply graduated income tax

2.  A steeply graduated inheritance tax

3.  A tax credit on small (< $100) political contributions

4.  Enforcement of anti-trust laws

BTW, this is just what existed in the US about 30 years ago! What do
we think of that!

It was the Reagan revolution that has revoked these laws and sent us
on our present path downwards towards another social restructuring.

Incidentally, I also strongly encourage the indexing of tax rates to
inflation. I also believe that only the excess of interest and capital
gains above inflation should be taxed.

Dennis Paull
Los Altos, CA  (Silicon Valley)