>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Sun Nov 16 06:41:04 1997
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: CYBERCAMPAIGN: RUSSIAN WAGE DEBT
>ICEM UPDATE
>
>No. 68/1997

>The following is from the International Federation of Chemical, Energy,
Mine and General Workers' Unions (ICEM):

>RUSSIAN WAGE DEBT CRISIS:
>WORLD CYBERCAMPAIGN BACKS RUSSIA'S WORKERS
>
>As the harsh Russian winter nears, a massive backlog of unpaid wages means
deepest poverty for Russian workers and their families. In many cases,
starvation now looms.

>One Russian worker in four is no longer paid regularly. More than 20
million people in Russia do not receive their wages on time. Many are owed
between six and twelve months' pay. The state and the employers owe some 10
billion US dollars in unpaid wages.

>And one Russian worker in eight is now paid in kind rather than in cash.
Russia is increasingly becoming a hawker economy as workers try to raise
money by selling their employers' products on the streets after hours. This
October, workers at a state farm in Vologda were suddenly "paid" in manure -
delivered to their doorsteps!

>Workers have responded to non-payment in many ways. The trade unions have
organised a series of strikes and demonstrations. Local strikes are erupting
all the time. Workers frequently organise hunger strikes and workplace
occupations. Acts of civil disobedience have involved the blocking of rail
lines and roads. The new wave of protests throughout the Russian Federation
marks the decision by Russian trade unions, of all tendencies, to make the
payment of wage arrears a priority.

>Now, a cybercampaign on the Web is bringing new global support to Russia's
unpaid workers. Launched by the 20-million-strong International Federation
of Chemical, Energy, Mine and General Workers' Unions (ICEM), this campaign
builds on the ICEM's experience of "cyberpicketing". The ICEM pioneered the
technique during the US dispute with global tyre giant Bridgestone in 1996.

>The international labour movement strongly supports the demands of the
Russian trade unions that the Russian government should:
>- meet its obligations to pay its own employees
>- legislate a realistic minimum wage
>- introduce criminal sanctions for the non-payment of wages
>- enforce existing legislation in this sphere
>- reinforce tripartite (union/emplpoyer/government) mechanisms
>- bring Russian labour legislation into line with internationally
recognised standards concerning strikes.

>The ICEM and the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU)
are now progressing a complaint on Russia's wage debt crisis through the
UN's International Labour Organisation (ILO). As part of the cybercampaign,
Web users can add their voices to the complaint by sending electronic
messages to the ILO.

>Cybercampaigners worldwide can now also - via the ICEM campaign site - send
protests to the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and other
international institutions, to the Russian government, to employers and
regional administrations and to multinational companies and banks. All of
these bear some responsibility for the hardship and suffering that Russian
workers are now experiencing.

>And talking of banks, Russia's First Deputy Prime Minister Anatoly Chubais,
who has special responsibility for the economic mess, has just been
proclaimed "Central Banker Of The Year" by Euromoney magazine.

>If Chubais is the world's best central banker, the ICEM wonders who came in
second. Nominations, please, to:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>If there is a good response, a league table of nominees will be published
on the cybercampaign site, and the authors of the best three nomination
letters will win the cassette "Roses of Memory" and the ICEM CD "Power".

>In Moscow, meanwhile, the Russian trade unions will tackle the wage arrears
issue at an international conference being held this month by the ICFTU with
ILO support.

>Preparations for the conference include a number of seminars, one of which
examined the situation in the energy industry. ICEM affiliates were among
the participants at the seminar held in the ancient city of Novgorod on
October 27-30. The seminar brought together Russian unions involved in the
production of energy and also unions representing workers in industries that
are major energy consumers. All ICEM-affiliated trade unions in Russia were
present and they were joined in their deliberations by delegations from the
Russian Trade Union of Nuclear Power and Industry Workers (RTUNPIW) and the
Russian Metal and Metal Mining Workers Union. Also in attendance was the
ICEM-affiliated Ukrainian nuclear workers' union ATU.

>The seminar viewed and finalised the new cybercampaign, which is now online
in English. The ICEM is hoping to reproduce as much of the site as possible
in Russian too. It also intends to create an e-mail-only version of the
cyberprotest section of the campaign to allow participation by those who
have access to e-mail but not to the Web.