>I've read elsewhere also that there is some 5 or 6 percent unemployed in
>U.S. prisons who (or should I say which) are not counted.
>
>Maybe one step forward in the future work subject might be accomplished if
>we counted the "employeds" and compared them to the total population,
>country by country. At least one of the numbers (the denominator) would
>have a more or less static definition. StatsCan, for instance, reports some
>60 percent of urban population and 50 percent of rural population, as
>working. I've not looked at these numbers with much attention, but they
>seem to suggest a desire to measure this phenomenon differently.

Here are some 1996 numbers for all sexes.
USA 63.2
Canada 58.6
Australia 59.1
Japan 60.9
France 48.5
Germany 49
Italy 41.9
Netherlands 55.6
Sweden 57.9
UK 57,6

For women only, Italy is just 28.4. Their unemployment rate is 17%. It seems
that the majority of Italian ladies are not employed and not seeking work
either.

I should observe that there are a lot of "notes", country by country: But
most of these deal with breaks in the series, which don't look too
significant to me. Japan and Germany are the only two countries who include
institutionalized adults in these figures.
Alan Scharf, Futurist and President
Scharf and Associates Creative Leap International
1137 Elliott Street, Saskatoon, SK. Canada S7N 0V4
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tel: 306/244-4164  Fax: 306/652-0633