I read the "UKCOD" message with interest, particularly since I lived in
Scotland till I was 21.

I have scanned the site, and will put a link up on our "Canadians for Direct
Democracy " website and post this to the CDD Listserv.

However I must say that I have GRAVE DOUBTS about :

"Our (UKCOD) Objectives are:

To develop opportunities for wider public participation in the democratic
process using online electronic communication"

We at CDD believe that anything short of our aim of:

"to improve the democratic process in Canada through citizen-initiated
binding referendums whereby voters can directly amend, introduce and remove
policies and laws"

is "seriously sub-optimal" -- to say it politely -- (BS is the less polite˙
 term)

Until governments world-wide are accountable to the PEOPLE -- (we suggest a
Swiss-like system of binding referendums) -- we have a Governance system
dominated by elites who do what elites (Cabinet, top bureaucrats, TNC
lobbyists, … ) want to do, and spend just a little of their energy fobbing
off "Democracy Groups" with useless consultative and information services --
which they almost totally ignore.

As Chomsky has said (about sports) -- it keeps the masses from thinking
about important issues.

Colin Stark
Vice-President
Canadians for Direct Democracy