Charles wrote (see below):
None of the problems would arise if the Patent Office were
abolished.

So, that is the answer.

And before anyone starts worrying about people not inventing
things without patent protection, remember Wordstar.

Wordstar had no protection of any kind. All of us used it
from the moment we got our young hands on a computer. But,
as we got older and went to work, what did we know? Why
clunky old Wordstar. The offices bought the program because
'everyone' knew it.

Other programmers piggy-backed their programs on the old
favorite and a Wordstar dynasty was born and we were all
pressing ^KB, ^KY, and similar horrible key combinations
which, however, we all knew - and often became the standard
key-presses for other programs.

If my memory serves me right, some 3 million copies were
sold before better word processing began to arrive.

Well, that didn't matter. Wordstar brought out its 'Wordstar
2000' and proceeded to make an horrendous mistake.

It protected the new program.

Programmers, who had helped to make Wordstar a dynasty had
trouble with the encryption process and turned away from it.

As did the customers in their millions.

After 6 months, the company removed the protection, but it
was too late.

Now, if you see Wordstar it is bundled with a new machine as
one of the GREAT programs offered.

The lesson should be learned. When Wordstar was free for
anyone to use, it prospered. Once it was protected, it went
down the drain.

Let me say that we should get rid of patents and copyright
protection. We don't need them.

Only downside is that Charles would be out of a job.

A merry Christmas to everyone and a Great New Year!

Harry