>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:40:17 -0500
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Finmktctr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Upcoming PBS miniseries on economic choices
>"Surviving The Bottom Line" with Hedrick Smith
>Dates: Friday, January 16th and 23rd (check local listings)
>Place:         Your Local PBS Affiliate
>
>If the economy is going great guns, why do so many of us feel jumpy about our
>jobs, our future and our communities?  Who calls the shots in our economic
>system?  And what can ordinary citizens do if the economy doesn't work for
>them?
>
>On Friday, January 16, PBS will begin broadcasting a four-hour miniseries
that
>addresses those questions.  Produced by Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter
>Hedrick Smith, "Surviving the Bottom Line" explores the real-world impact of
>the winner-take-all strategies driven by Wall Street money managers and
>corporate deal makers.
>
>"Surviving the Bottom Line" also shows how innovative initiatives by unions,
>communities and school systems can help America share its economic gains more
>broadly.  The concluding segment of the series describes the success of
>pioneering workers' investment funds in saving and creating tens of thousands
>of jobs in Canada and the U.S.
>
>In telling the story of those funds, the PBS documentary interviews Leo
>Gerard, Secretary-Treasurer of the United Steelworkers of America.  Gerard
>chairs the Heartland Labor Capital Project, a bi-national initiative
promoting
>strategies that enable workers and communities to invest in themselves.  The
>Project is based in Pittsburgh and administered by the Steel Valley
Authority,
>a nonprofit intermunicipal development agency that has been a national model
>for industrial retention programs.
>
>We urge you to watch - and spread the word about -- "Surviving the Bottom
>Line."  The series is featured on the PBS website (www.pbs.org/bottomline/).
>PBS has scheduled the program to air at 9-11 PM, Friday January 16 and Friday
>23.  However, many local PBS affiliates are running the series at different
>times.
>For more information -- on the miniseries, on air times in your community and
>on the Heartland Project - contact:
>
>Heartland Labor Capital Project
>(412) 460-0488
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The ISCV home page can be reached at
http://libertynet.org/~edcivic/iscvhome.html
Also check out  "Neighborhoods Online" at
http://libertynet.org/community/phila/natl.html.

"Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
                               --G.K. Chesterton