charles mueller wrote:
[snip]
>         Eva Durant, as I understand her, is a Marxist, an adherent of an
> economic system that has not just failed but has done so on a spectacular
> scale, one spanning nearly the whole of a century and costing more than 70
> million lives worldwide.  She is, I gather, unimpressed by that long and
> costly lesson of history.
[snip]

Yes, Marxism "failed". But did it fall under its own weight or
was it pushed?  Did it ever have a chance?

The policy of the
United States and Great Britain, etc., ever since the Bolshevik
Revolution, has been to isolate any communists we could
not remove from power, so that the people in the communist
nations would suffer such deprivations that they would
"spontaneously" (with help from the CIA et al) overthrow their
government.  Read D.F. Fleming's _The Cold War and Its Origins_
(Doubleday, 1961). Whenever leftist governments gained power through
more-or-less popular approbation ("majority vote", etc.), the
United States has made it a point of destabilizing the regime and
trying to replace it with a new government that would be friendly
to American capital.

America has never been interested in making the world safe for
democracy,
just like capitalists have never been interested in competition,
although, in the one case, the *rhetoric* of freedom has served as
a means to further the ideological agenda, just like in the other.

And how proud America should be of what we've given the people of the
former Soviet Union in exchange for liberating them from communism!
Well, we have created some new zillionaires (as opposed
to those loathsome commisars!) there, so all must be
well!

Shame on us!

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(914)238-0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<!THINK [SGML]> Visit my website ==> http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/