Richard Mochelle wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
> I fail to see how 'waged labour' is morally different than
> 'fee-for-service'.  Both are improvisations of the same economic tactic
> -  'pre-conditional exchange', ie...
> 'I won't sacrifice my precious time to serve you, (help you fulfil your
> goals) unless you promise to provide me with sufficient, pre-agreed
> compensation.
>
> Surely if waged labour is to be regarded as so morally 'bad' or
> 'inferior' that it needs to be outlawed, then, to be consistent,
> fee-for-service should be regarded and treated likewise.  But perhaps
> there's a most subtle, yet all-important distinction between the two
> which I seem not to be able to grasp.  Please clarify.

The model I have in mind is, e.g.: My wife and I wanted to
put ceramic tile on our kitchen wall behind the stove as a
protection against grease splashing there....  We looked in the
Yeloow Pages (or maybe got a reference from a ceramic tile
dealer) and called *an individual* -- a "self-employed" tile
craftsman.  The craftsman came to our house, looked over the
situation, and offered us an estimate of what *he* would
charge ti install the tile.  We liked him and felt his price was
fair.  So we entered into an agreement with him to do the
work.  He installed the tile, and we paid him for it.
The only persons involved (other than "Uncle Sam" and
His IRS, of course...) were us and the tile craftsperson.

I think I have mentioned here the son of a friend who owns a
small auto repair shop, and who only accepts work from customers
who take good care of their cars.  This is another
example which I think helps build the "eidos" (normative
and life-guiding concept) I'm working with here.

That's my model. Obviously, it would be even better if there
was no money involved, for, as Emmanuel Levinas wrote:
the highest function of the things we make is not to be
articles of use, but to be gifts we can give to the other.

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(914)238-0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<!THINK [SGML]> Visit my website ==> http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/